What is the meaning of life?

Started by
550 comments, last by Kest 18 years, 4 months ago
I recently saw the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Allie asks Ray why God has put us on Earth, and this sparks a huge disscussion on what the meaning of life is. At first I dissmissed it as a funny little episode (and it was funny), but the more I thought about it, I started to take it seriously; what is the meaning of life? Why do I get up, go to school, come home, and then work on my games? Some people would say it's because being a hobo sucks, but I want something more. After several (serious) meditation sessions, I came upon the conclusion that the meaning of life is to fight evil. If you think about it, every "good" thing in life breeds happiness, which repels sorrow, which is just another derrivitive of evil. However, my logic may be flawed, and I would love to get your opinions. And please, no stupid answers (i.e. the meaning of life is to score with hot chicks). Shoot.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
Hmmm ... the meaning of my life is to be happy. Plain and simple.
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
According to my friend, the meaning of life is to delay the inevitable.
Have fun while it last. If there's an after-life, there'll be time enough to ask yourself the question there. If there isn't, well no one cares about the answer anyway.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
The "fighting evil" theory runs into problems when it comes to defining what is good and what is evil.

Personally, I think there is no single all encompassing answer to the meaning of life. I think life has as much meaning as you give it. My purpose in life is to continue living and to have fun doing it, and that's good enough for me.
To do as much as you can before you die.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Just me
Life has no meaning.
You can define a meaning which suits you, but that's as far as it'll go, it is completely subjective.
Quote:Hogarth Hughes: I know you feel bad about the deer, but it's not your fault. Things die. That's part of life. It's bad to kill, but it's not bad to die.
The Iron Giant: You die?
Hogarth Hughes: Well, yes, someday.
The Iron Giant: I die?
Hogarth Hughes: I don't know. You're made of metal, but you have feelings, and you think about things, and that means you have a soul. And souls don't die.
The Iron Giant: Soul?
Hogarth Hughes: Mom says it's something inside of all good things, and that it goes on forever and ever.
[Hogarth leaves. The Iron Giant lays back to look at the stars]
The Iron Giant: Souls don't die.
c'mon now

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement