Coding with HTML?

Started by
11 comments, last by ProToolz 18 years, 5 months ago
I know this may be a noob question but I will be learning html soon and was wandering if I should start coding a game with html first(heard it was the easier than C++ and others)? Thanks and sorry again for my noob question, I have seen html games but don't know if it is easier or harder.
Advertisement
First, HTML is a markup language. Not a programming langauge. Having said that. Practically anyone can code in HTML, or use a HTML editor. There isn't a real good reason to learn it unless you plan on making sites, which is more of a artist thing than a programmer thing.

If you want to learn C++, I suggest you take some college courses in C++, most community colleges will allow you to take courses before you've graduated from college. (As long as you prove that you know the math, and you can open a compiler :O)

It's also a excellent way to get some coursework done before finishing high school :P
Hi,

you can't code a game with only HTML (Ok, choose your own fate is pure HTML). You can code a simple one with &#106avascript, or a more complex game with Java, PHP or Flash. The reason is that the state data a game has must be saved somewhere, and HTML isn't capable of that (and hasn't any control structures), only with the help of a web server (PHP/Perl/ASP/JSP/etc approach) or with Flash or Java, which hasn't much to do with HTML coding anymore.
I suggest you google for the terms I mentioned above, and inform yourself about what you can do with each.

EditOh, and I don't recommend C++ as a first language. It is a real beast of a language, which enables one in many ways to not make progress with a game, because there is so fricking much to learn.
I suggest Scheme, Python, C#, or even &#106avascript in HTML for a start. Or you could go the Flash route and learn Flash ActionScript.<br>
You can't make a game in HTML (unless you mean something else than the normal HTML). You are probably thinking about some web-scripting language like &#106avascript or maybe php/asp which can create simple games. HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language and is a way you can format text, pictures and other layout related stuff. In HTML you can do about the same things you can do when editing a document in Word (not including advanced features like macros).

C++ is a programming language, and most (all I think) people would say it is harder than HTML, but they serve different purposes. If you want to compare C++ to web-scripting languages, then C++ is in most cases harder, but they accomplish different things.

In C++ you can create an executable on the users computer, then if you want networking you must connect to a server or use P2P. With web-scripting you use the WWW. If you want to program a complex game like a RPG, an FPS or just a puzzle game (yes they are complex too) you are probably better of using C++. Well you are probably better of for any kind of game, most games on the Internet today uses Flash which is another way to create programs/games which can run on the Internet. With Flash you can create some pretty cool stuff, but you will need programming. Also Java is a programming language which is very popular on the WWW.

So if you want to create games which people play through a browser try to find some information on Java and Flash. If you instead wants to program games which are executed from the client computer you will need a programming/scriping language, like Python or C++, or you could use one of the many game maker programs.

I don't know why you want to do this, is it to learn programming or just to say you have made a game. If you want to learn programming I think you should start programming in Python, which is simpler than C++ and if you at some time want to start C++ much of the theory from Python can be used with C++ as well. If you just want to create a game do a search for a program called GameMaker, I haven't tried it myself, but it should be a simple way to create games.

One thing you need to know from the start is that creating a good game takes time. Programming a MMORPG (I don't know if you want this, but many beginners want to program a MMORPG) is close to impossible for a single programmer, even with over 10 years of experience. It will take years if you want to go the hard way and learn to program a game, and if you choose the easy way and let a program do the hard work you wont have as much influence on how the game will turn out.
Quote:Original post by EmperiorRune
First, HTML is a markup language. Not a programming langauge.

True HTML is not really a programming language but that should not stop you from learning it. The reason it would not be any good for game programming though is the fact that HTML does not have variables. Although if you learn HTML and then learn &#106avascript you can make games in web pages and have a good starting grasp on programming in general.

Quote: Having said that. Practically anyone can code in HTML, or use a HTML editor. There isn't a real good reason to learn it unless you plan on making sites, which is more of a artist thing than a programmer thing.

Not true artist in most cases use just a drag and drop program. and HTML is pretty easy once you learn it. So AFTER you learn it it seems like anyone can make a web site but trust me not everyone can and there is good money in it if you are good at it.

Quote:
If you want to learn C++, I suggest you take some college courses in C++, most community colleges will allow you to take courses before you've graduated from college. (As long as you prove that you know the math, and you can open a compiler :O)

Get yourself a good book if you plan on learning C++.

Quote:
It's also a excellent way to get some coursework done before finishing high school :P

Taking college courses before you get out of high school can be a little hard check to see if your college has some sort of duel enrollment program if so you may be able to get college credits that way.

Gor435 - My Journal - MySpace - Facebook
You can't make an HTML game, but you can use HTML in these forums. That's how you get this and this
  1. and this
  • and this
and links like this

and images like this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Thanks, I will learn html but will try &#106avascript or maybe even Python(for the game, game will be simple, I just want to start learning some programming). I am definitely not making an mmo(I know how hard it is lol). Thanks for everyones help!<br><br><br>BTW to above poster, I know how to do that in html(I am not a complete noob in html! lol).
HTML is an easy language to learn. HTML is good for programming your websites. I have seen some GOOD HTML sites out there, that are PURE HTML. Anyway...wait! I saw a homebrew game for the PSP made in PURE HTML. He updated his PSP, so doing homebrew was impossible, but he did it by doing PURE HTML using the PSP's web browser. So it is possible to do a game in HTML but I won't recemend it at all!

Starting with Pyton as a Game Programming language, is a great idea. Although I started with HTML and went straight to C++(yes, C++ is hard), dosen't mean that you should go ahead and do C++. It will be A LOT easier to pick up C++ when you already have a Programming language down. You would only have to learn it's syntax, and some features that C++ has that Python dosen't.

Good luck!

Quote:Original post by igni ferroque
HTML is a fine programming language for newbies, but JPEG is more powerful.

I hope you were trying to be funny. HTML could is a mark-up, but it's also a "language." It really is pretty easy... But start off with something simple such as C or Basic. JPEG is a file format...
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
I recomend a bit higher level language like Visual Basic (6 not .NET) to get your grasp on programming concepts and to get more visual results for your work.

IE: In VB just add a form and presto you have a window up and runnign with no code.

To program what happens in a button click, just double click the component and there ya go!

Compare that to something like say Win32 in C where theres a bunch of code just to get a window and you'll see why you should learn something like VB first.

Once you got the basic grasp of programming concepts like conditional statements and loops etc, move on to C and C++.

Or if visual accomplishments are not that important and your fine with seeing results on the command line for your first few programs, then just head straight into C.

Just look on www.about.com for a pretty good tutorial that goes from "hello world" to polymorphism and multiple inheritance.
______________________TradeMark Designs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement