Ogg Theora media player in games.

Started by
4 comments, last by CoderGuy 18 years, 5 months ago
Is there a LGPL media player that I could use in playing a ogg theora video in C and OpenGL? I'm using Windows XP with Dev-C++ and I've come across a couple media players, but they have a lot of features that I don't need. The players I've found are: VLC, splayer, gstreamer. Right now I'm using SMPEG, but I'd like to support ogg theora for video as I'm using ogg vorbis for audio. What do you guys recommend? Have a good Thanksgiving everyone.
Advertisement
If I where you I'd look into Audiere. :)
I'm using OpenAL with Ogg Vorbis. But I'll look into Audiere for Ogg Vorbis support. Thanks for the link. I've gotten the Linux version of VLC to compile in Windows, but there's so many files so I'm looking for an easier way if one exists.
Quote:Original post by EmperiorRune
If I where you I'd look into Audiere. :)

Audiere has support for the Ogg VORBIS AUDIO container, Ogg THEORA uses the ogg container format for both video and audio, there's a plugin for the OGRE rendering engine that uses it.

Though Ogg and Vorbis are oftenly joined at the hip, Theora shows us that Ogg can be used to hold any kind of media.
Well, we're designing our engines from scratch and using existing libraries like SDL and such to speed up the process. Mostly this is for a learning experience, but we might try and sell the game later on. What we're doing right now is just working on the engines.

We're using SDL, OpenAL, OpenGL, C, and Python for the graphics and game engine respectively.

Has anyone made an ogg theora player in their game? Should I just look and see what Ogre3D did?
There's also the Helix player which is open source. I am thinking I might make my own theora player and make it lgpl for everyone to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement