Fullscreen breakpoints

Started by
5 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone, I trying to set breakpoints on MSVS C++ while running a directx application on fullscreen. Now of the bat, when the breakpoint enters I see the taskbar and the visual studio has focus but I cannot see it because the rest of the window is taken by the game. Now I tryed to use two monitors, using extend desktop mode. Now if I set the breakpoint the game stops as normal and when I click on continue or press F5, it minimizes and it doesn't maximaze, it just stays there. The same happens if I click on the second monitor, it minimizes and it will stay there. Any thoughs, Thanks
Marco Tapia
Advertisement
To be quite honest, when debugging programs I highly suggest working in Windowed mode. Breakpoints are infinitely easier to work with and other such errors are easy to get to. Not only that but you have the option of adding a debug menu to the window without any directx code for various debugging purposes.

In fullscreen, if the window is minimized, you have to restore the device, reload all the textures, and reset all the device states. It's a crappy process and tends to take a decent amount of time to finish.
I don't think there's much you could do about it...
Previous thread about same problem
You could always use a remote debugger..
Quote:Original post by mvtapia
Hello everyone, I trying to set breakpoints on MSVS C++ while running a directx application on fullscreen. Now of the bat, when the breakpoint enters I see the taskbar and the visual studio has focus but I cannot see it because the rest of the window is taken by the game. Now I tryed to use two monitors, using extend desktop mode. Now if I set the breakpoint the game stops as normal and when I click on continue or press F5, it minimizes and it doesn't maximaze, it just stays there. The same happens if I click on the second monitor, it minimizes and it will stay there.
Any thoughs,
Thanks

I use two monitors along with VS2003 and MDX and swear blindly by it. :)
I can simply set break points and step through at my leasure. I assume you place your IDE in the second monitor? Not sure if it makes a difference but I use ATI hardware.
If you don't have a multi-head video card, you can always use an old PCI card to drive the second monitor.
Quote:Original post by Seiko
I use two monitors along with VS2003 and MDX and swear blindly by it. :)
I can simply set break points and step through at my leasure. I assume you place your IDE in the second monitor? Not sure if it makes a difference but I use ATI hardware.

Yea, I do this without problems all the time. Ever since I found out about the Enable Multi-Monitor Debugging trick, I debug in fullscreen constantly.

Quote:If you don't have a multi-head video card, you can always use an old PCI card to drive the second monitor.

Ah yes...I still have a good 'ole S3 Virge that lived its glorious days as my 2nd PCI video card. Sadly, it has been outdated by my dual-head card. Rest in peace, Mr. S3.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement