BSPs and Entities

Started by
1 comment, last by ebikhan 18 years, 5 months ago
I've been working with BSPs for a while and I can load them, display them and do some collision detection against the static scene. But what I need to know is how are dynamic objects handled? I'm specifically looking at collision detection. Are these dynamic nodes that are inserted in to the tree, removed and reinserted on each loop to update their positions?
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
Advertisement
Constantly inserting and removing nodes from a BSP tree is not recommended. Using a system that lends itself to whole meshes (instead of triangles) at a time, like Octrees, is usually a better choice for dynamic objects. There's nothing wrong with using more than one spatial partitioning system at a time (within reasonable means). Some engines even use partitioning systems per-object - each object would be contained in it's own octree, for example.

Using a BSP tree for dynamic objects is possible, but is not recommended on a per-triangle basis. If you insert dynamic objects into a BSP tree, it is better to at least use each object's bounding volume instead.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck.
These days I am working on developing an engine. I recently shifted my self from implementing OCTree to BSPs. My immediate task is frustum culling. For a moment consider static objects, I always think OCTree will be better option as far efficient rendering results are concerned compared to BSPs. What are ur views on it. You people are speaking of bounding box, so wat if I use a hybrid approach that is OCTree-BSP mix. First I create BoundingBoxes from the whole scene and then in each bounding I use BSPs for Z-Sorting. Any suggestion wud it be a better option. Since I dont have much time to compare different techniques, so I will be dependent on u ppl suggestion. Plus one last thing for the moment, choice of Space Partition depends on map. I mean wud it make a difference If i am using indoor scene, or an outdoor or mix of both ?

ThanksBest Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement