650,000 Years of Carbon Dioxide Can't Be Wrong

Started by
174 comments, last by Eelco 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
Im all for anti-polution laws and the protection of the environment, but as a scientist, I have yet to see serious evidence that humans are causing climate changes. Thats not a reason for not controlling what we shoot in the air better, but we could spare ourselves the media panic and the bogus studies.

Are you saying that the ice core study mentioned in the OP is bogus? If not, what bogus studies are you refering to?

No, I am not. I can't read that study (dont have a Science subscription, I really should) so I can't comment it. I would be interested in the metrology parameters of their measurements, especially the repetability rates with other sites. Of course the accuracy will never be known unless we get a time-machine.

What *is* bogus is the LA Times article, which derivate several premises from conclusions. "Green houses gazes are higher than thousands of years => humans are causing climate changes". That sentence would make my philosophy teacher cry.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Eelco
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Horsepower. It worked before ...
[grin]

lol. How about we just hurry up and invent teleporters already? But really, do electric cars work well or not? Couldn't we just make a powerplant that has a huge metal doughnut, with a magnet in the center that spins to create power, or would that not make enough for its size?

since the world is about to end anyway, i suppose you wouldnt mind keeping that magnet spinning? or do you think they burn all that coal in powerplants just to keep it comfortably heated in there?

I said I believe the would would end before 2048, not 'about to end'.
Anyhow, even if it was about to end in a decade, it is still nice to have power in your house. So would that work or not, I wouldn't mind knowing. What are your ideas?
it is still nice to have power in your house. So would that work or not, I wouldn't mind knowing. What are your ideas?

Rotating magnets are a way to convert energy into/from electricity. You still need to apply energy to rotate the magnet. He was being facetious in asking if you wanted to be the one to rotate it manually.

My idea, though, is wind power. It's the cheapest of the green energy sources and it might spur our engineers into creating more suitable structures.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Quote:Original post by templewulf
it is still nice to have power in your house. So would that work or not, I wouldn't mind knowing. What are your ideas?

Rotating magnets are a way to convert energy into/from electricity. You still need to apply energy to rotate the magnet. He was being facetious in asking if you wanted to be the one to rotate it manually.

My idea, though, is wind power. It's the cheapest of the green energy sources and it might spur our engineers into creating more suitable structures.

Wind power is always nice; I like solar, too.

Couldn't the magnet spin automaticly if it was a huge needle in the metal Doughnut?
Wind power is always nice; I like solar, too.

Couldn't the magnet spin automaticly if it was a huge needle in the metal Doughnut?
Solar is sort of a minor controversy because it costs nearly three times as much to set up the equipment to get the same amount of energy from solar as wind power. I think solar panels are more versatile, but there are far fewer investors. They're a little better now that you don't have to use batteries, but can push it right back into the grid, effectively selling it to your power company.

That's the whole problem as far as our contributions to global warming; are the alternatives profitable enough for corporate executives to give up non-green power? I would think so, since wind and solar power are free. I mean, the vast power of the universe is pouring over our planet and all they have to do is catch it. That sounds a lot more profitable than oil and coal, but I'm no economist.

As far as magnetic needle spinning automatically, I have NO idea what you're talking about. [grin] All motion requires energy, and in atmosphere and undergravity, it needs a constant supply of external force. I don't understand where the automatic part comes in.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
if you wouldnt have deleted the part of my post where i adressed that, i wouldnt have to retype it now, but never mind, let me word it more clearly:

-this planet has been non-sterile from an estimated 4billion years ago up till now
-at the dawn of life, its safe to say there was no organic carbon stored underground
-hence, life must be possible even if we were to release all stored carbon
-we will only be able to release a quite small fraction of it in an economically viable manner
-so it is reasonable to assume the climate after release of all economically accesible carbon is somewhere between what its now and what it is estimated to have been like in the far past.
-assuming the worst, that might suck quite badly for us, but were quite a versatile species: people can live from the desert to antarica now, theyll be able to live on antartica then no matter what happens. actually i wouldnt be surprised if a not too big shift to warmer global climate would increase the capacity of this planet to support life rather than decrease it. afaik its an established fact that the amount of biomass/m^2 has been much higher in the warmer past.

I didn't think I was refuting the other portions of your post, but after review, it appears that I was.

In regard to your reformulation, at the dawn of life it's safe to say there was no organic carbon stored above ground either - at least as far as organic carbon is a by-product of life. Perhaps that observation is a matter of semantics, that is, to put it another way, organic chemistry should be renamed carbon chemistry to indicate that life need not be present in order for carbon based chemical reactions to occur. I don't think the question should be whether life would still be possible with the release of all stored carbon, but whether complex forms of life would still be possible. What good would it be for us if the only life that could live on the surface of the earth was bacteria?

The assertion that only a small fraction of the stored carbon can be released seems to me intended to downplay the issue. It doesn't address the fact that we are releasing more of it than the biota can reabsorb and this is upsetting the balance. It does not serve us well to reproduce the global environment of 20 million years ago. That isn't the environment that we have evolved in, so yes, it would suck quite badly for us. And while we are very adaptable, the conditions may be so extreme that we can't make the adjustment quickly enough.

People live in Antartica now, but not in a way sustained by that environment. All of their material needs have to be shipped in. Take away ships and airplanes and the antartica is not inhabitable. People do live in deserts, but they don't thrive in them. They live on the edge or near water sources. Raise the temperature to the point where all the water evaporates and deserts will pretty much become off limits to us.

As I wrote before, there is a great likelihood that change will be geometric rather than linear. We may reach the threshold that leads to a runaway greehouse effect that transforms the Earth into something more like Venus. That would seriously impact, in a negative way, the capacity of the planet to support life - especially complex life forms. And the fact that biomass density was greater in the past, doesn't tell us anything about the transitions between the conditions that made that possible and those that led to our evolution. Turning the "carbon clock" back 20 million years in the space of 100 years may be so disruptive that no complex life forms could survive. For more on this, see Methane Catastrophe.

So to take it back to my original response, it's not at all clear that only a select few will suffer from global climate change. If the threshold of a runaway greenhouse effect is reached, the vast majority will suffer - and maybe a select few won't, that is, the Waltons of the world as per my earlier posts on that subject. I would rather the Waltons of the world bore more of the burden in responding to global climate change, but I think that everyone has some burden to bear in all this - even people scratching for their next meal.

i was more thinking of something people would embrace willingly. i know, im a lazy bastard.

I meant that as a joke. Personally, the wide spread return to using horses would be bad for me as I am terribly allergic to them. Fortunately for me, it's very easy to avoid horses these days. I just stay away from rodeos, circuses and other equestrian forms of entertainment.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
...As far as magnetic needle spinning automatically, I have NO idea what you're talking about. [grin] All motion requires energy, and in atmosphere and undergravity, it needs a constant supply of external force. I don't understand where the automatic part comes in.

I will try and explain it better as I am not quite sure(even after read the faq) how to post pictures, but here it goes. If you had a huge metal circle about eight feet wide and three deep with a magnetic pole almost four feet long spinning in the center, would it continue to spin or would it stop?

The magnet would be forced to move toward the metal of the bowl, but it is stuck in the center, so would it move in a circle/spin?

<<<Upon rereading this I see it is not much better than my previous post, but this is the best I can do, sorry.>>>
That's the whole problem as far as our contributions to global warming; are the alternatives profitable enough for corporate executives to give up non-green power? I would think so, since wind and solar power are free. I mean, the vast power of the universe is pouring over our planet and all they have to do is catch it. That sounds a lot more profitable than oil and coal, but I'm no economist.

so it would appear.

if it was free, youd expect investors to fall over eachother trying to sell it to us beneath current market prices, right?

sure, there is the whole 'oil corporations are repressing alternatives' movement, but i have yet to see any substantial evidence for that.

its about bedtime for me, but lets suffice to say the matter is slightly more complicated.
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
What *is* bogus is the LA Times article, which derivate several premises from conclusions. "Green houses gazes are higher than thousands of years => humans are causing climate changes". That sentence would make my philosophy teacher cry.

The article assumes the connection between human activity and the increase in greenhouse gases as well as the connection between greenhouse gases and climate change in order to make that assertion. The article fits into a larger context that newspapers aren't well suited for expounding on everytime new evidence is presented or new analysis are produced. That doesn't make them bogus, just limited.

But my question remains. You suggested that there were bogus studies and yet were not able to point to a single one. The LA times article is not a study, it's a report of a study. Why should we believe that there are bogus studies if you can't provide an example of one? It seems to me that the charge of bogus studies is just a rhetorical ploy to dismiss global climate change science without an actual examination of it.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
In regard to your reformulation, at the dawn of life it's safe to say there was no organic carbon stored above ground either - at least as far as organic carbon is a by-product of life. Perhaps that observation is a matter of semantics, that is, to put it another way, organic chemistry should be renamed carbon chemistry to indicate that life need not be present in order for carbon based chemical reactions to occur. I don't think the question should be whether life would still be possible with the release of all stored carbon, but whether complex forms of life would still be possible. What good would it be for us if the only life that could live on the surface of the earth was bacteria?

true, that would be a better way to formulate the question.

Quote:
The assertion that only a small fraction of the stored carbon can be released seems to me intended to downplay the issue. It doesn't address the fact that we are releasing more of it than the biota can reabsorb and this is upsetting the balance.

its a fact that we can only release a fraction. most fossile reserves are either too deep, too dispersed, or otherwise simply not economically minable.

Quote:
It does not serve us well to reproduce the global environment of 20 million years ago. That isn't the environment that we have evolved in, so yes, it would suck quite badly for us. And while we are very adaptable, the conditions may be so extreme that we can't make the adjustment quickly enough.

maybe not. im quite confident we will though. but no im not denying it would suck.

Quote:
People live in Antartica now, but not in a way sustained by that environment. All of their material needs have to be shipped in. Take away ships and airplanes and the antartica is not inhabitable. People do live in deserts, but they don't thrive in them. They live on the edge or near water sources. Raise the temperature to the point where all the water evaporates and deserts will pretty much become off limits to us.

sure, deserts might become off-limits. and tundras might become flourishing farmland. also, higher temperatures means more evaporation == more rain. either way, its not that clear cut what will happen.

Quote:
As I wrote before, there is a great likelihood that change will be geometric rather than linear. We may reach the threshold that leads to a runaway greehouse effect that transforms the Earth into something more like Venus.

even if such runaway effects will happen, its still only a fraction of all fossile reserves were talking about. 'more like venus' seems like a gross exxageration. 'like old-earth' is the worst that could happen, and 'slightly more like old-earth' seems to be the most likely imo.

Quote:
That would seriously impact, in a negative way, the capacity of the planet to support life - especially complex life forms. And the fact that biomass density was greater in the past, doesn't tell us anything about the transitions between the conditions that made that possible and those that led to our evolution. Turning the "carbon clock" back 20 million years in the space of 100 years may be so disruptive that no complex life forms could survive.

dinosaurs were pretty complex. i know im not a dinosaur, but i am fairly sure wed be able to manage in their world. warmer and wetter: seems like you could grow some crops there.

Quote:
So to take it back to my original response, it's not at all clear that only a select few will suffer from global climate change. If the threshold of a runaway greenhouse effect is reached, the vast majority will suffer - and maybe a select few won't, that is, the Waltons of the world as per my earlier posts on that subject. I would rather the Waltons of the world bore more of the burden in responding to global climate change, but I think that everyone has some burden to bear in all this - even people scratching for their next meal.

sure, it will affect anyone, only it will probably only be a relatively minor nuiseance for someone who is already accustomed to dealing with the very real threat of death every day because he is scratching for every next meal and doesnt have a medical ensurance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement