ATI radeon X300 on a laptops

Started by
10 comments, last by CRACK123 18 years, 5 months ago
Hi, Can someone give me the pros and cons of an ATI Radeon X300 card on a laptop. I am not looking at playing games but rather making them. Or is it better to stick to Intel Integrated graphics. I don't think I can afford an Nvidia on a laptop. The cost just goes extremely high. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this message as well but I though this probably is the best place. Thanks
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Advertisement
I would seriously reconsider getting a laptop with an nvidia chipset it's be worth it and save you plenty of headaches especially if you ever plan on using linux on laptop.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
the x300 is definitely much better than any intel chip, but still, having one in my notebook (with default res 1400x1050), i can tell you it's a slow chip as well.. but as i normally don't play games on it anyways, it doesn't hurt. i'm happy to have dx9 on it to play around if needed, but else.. get a notebook with eighter some fast nvidia, or some fast ati chip in it. there is a mobile x700 for example, wich i'd guess is much faster than the x300.. and new ones on the corner..

for more serious gaming behind 640x480 (if using dx9 with shaders), consider something better than x300..
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

For an extra 100 - 200 dollars you can probably upgrade to an nvidia 6800 go? If so, I'd highly recommend it..
I got a new laptop recently for the same purpose and found that an x700 is not much more expensive than the x300, but it's obviously much more powerful (somewhere around radeon 9700/9800).

The GF6800go is (so I hear) even better for playing games but I couldn't find a true laptop equipped with one. All the ones I could find had giant screens, one hour of battery life and weighed about ten pounds. Basically "portable desktop" machines.

So I ended up getting a 6lbs, 15.4" Acer with an x700, a gig of ram and a little over 3 hours of battery. It plays HL2 reasonably well under battery power and is tolerable to lug around when traveling (although I'd have bought a 14" if there was one available).
Well, Nvidia will cost me a fortune. I have no idea why but the Nvidia Geforce 6200 is like $600-700 more. I looked around for one with Nvidia. I will see how much a Raedon X700 costs me.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:Original post by Fingers_
The GF6800go is (so I hear) even better for playing games but I couldn't find a true laptop equipped with one. All the ones I could find had giant screens, one hour of battery life and weighed about ten pounds. Basically "portable desktop" machines.

How did you find my labtop?

Of course I can pithch in 200 bucks more and go for Geforce 6200. Not sure if thats worth it. I guess it could be better than X300.
Quote:Original post by CRACK123
Of course I can pithch in 200 bucks more and go for Geforce 6200. Not sure if thats worth it. I guess it could be better than X300.

It is!
"The bottom line is that NVIDIA’s TurboCache outperforms ATI’s HyperMemory technology. The XFX GeForce 6200TC 128MB featuring a 64-bit memory interface was noticeably faster than the ATI RADEON X300SE 128MB in most of our gaming benchmarks, that coupled with the extra features incorporated in the 6200TC GPU, give NVIDIA the upper hand in the latest standoff between the two graphics giants.
"
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6200_turbocahe_versus_ati_x300_se_hypermemory/page11.asp
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I don't know what you are getting overall--but you can take a look at this post of mine in a thread not so long ago. Thanks to all the others who helped me out there [smile].

/edit: I haven't yet bought that system--but even looking at the specs again has me drooling (now I'm on a desktop with a Geforce 4 MX 440).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement