Which?

Started by
6 comments, last by python_regious 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I am new to this forum. I was just wondering, which is a better program to code C++ in. Dev C++ or Visual C++ 2005? Thanks In Advance.
Advertisement
Dev-C++ is much more light-weight than VC++, and so is Code::Blocks as I am using myself.

Depends what you mean with "better" though
If you're not going to be developing professionally or you aren't a student on a programming course then Dev-C++ would probably be the best IDE for you. If you are a student or going to be developing profressionally then Microsoft Visual C++/Studio would probably be better. You can currently download MSVS 2005 Express Edition for free.
What features are present in one program that aren't available in the other? I don't really get WHY MSVC++ is better for students and pros, while DevC++ is better in any other situation. I mean, if someone has a fairly new computer and has no problem handling the extra resources of MSVC++2005, then wouldn't that be the better product in any case? (well, barring people who have blatant animosity towards microsoft)
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
Quote:Original post by Undeadlnsanity
If you're not going to be developing professionally or you aren't a student on a programming course then Dev-C++ would probably be the best IDE for you. If you are a student or going to be developing profressionally then Microsoft Visual C++/Studio would probably be better. You can currently download MSVS 2005 Express Edition for free.

I don't think proffesionalism has anything to do with this. If a bussiness forces you to use an IDE it won't kill you. Learning an IDE is not exactly the most difficult thing to do

I preffer code::blocks, btw codeblocks itself is a cross platform program, and since it uses mingw32 you can distribute code::blocks projects and they will be openable and compilable in linux too.

And well the other features an IDE might have are not really required by a programmer.
------ XYE - A new edition of the classic Kye
I would use MSVC++ every time as I think its the best compiler. Also, many companies will use this compiler as well. It's free at the moment, so the only reasons I could think for not using it would be if you really hate Microsoft and don't want to touch anything Microsoft ( which is a stupid reason IMO ) or if you're developing under linux ( though I could be wrong about the latter reason ).
Quote:Original post by BTownTKD
What features are present in one program that aren't available in the other? I don't really get WHY MSVC++ is better for students and pros, while DevC++ is better in any other situation. I mean, if someone has a fairly new computer and has no problem handling the extra resources of MSVC++2005, then wouldn't that be the better product in any case? (well, barring people who have blatant animosity towards microsoft)

Well MSVC++ optimizes the binary better has a lot of more features as an IDE. Although I preffer more lower weight IDEs and mingw32 for compiler and that's why I love code::blocks, and it is really helpful now that I am making a cross platform game.

And it can open MSVC++ and dev-cpp project files, and if a library only has releases for gcc you can use the result .a static library. But if it comes in .lib you can do so too

Note that VC++ took the freedom to deprecate some C++ standard functions
------ XYE - A new edition of the classic Kye
Visual Studio every time, if only for the debugger. Though, in all fairness I've not tried another IDE for some time, so I might be out of date.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement