xwindows and opengl

Started by
3 comments, last by serratemplar 18 years, 4 months ago
I've been searching the web for like an hour now and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I've managed to locate all the header and library files I need to potentially build an OpenGL app for xwindows in Linux (Ubuntu, and CentOS are my target distributions right now). However I can't find any tutorials on openning my own xwindow (using I presume XCreateWindow or glxCreateWindow or one of those), and very little in the way of documentation. Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated. I've got several OpenGL apps up and running under Windows XP, and I'm looking forward to porting them (they're very simple) to see how it works. Thanks.
Advertisement
Unless you have a specific reason you want to deal directly with X, try using SDL to create an OpenGL context. It's much easier to work with.

Take a look at the first NeHe tutorial. There is Linux/SDL example code at the bottom.
take a look at nehe's tutorials. Look at the bottom of every tutorial page for linux versions of the example source code.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.

I downloaded the SDL example code onto my Ubuntu system, and immediately installed what I believe to be all of the SDL developement stuff I might need. The example code compiles and runs, and in the term window that I run it from it prints a FPS report...however in the window it opens I see only black.

Wouldn't expect the tutorial to be bad, but I'm gonna check thru the OpenGL code to see if it's in error. Reason I'm posting this update is, well, if this is something you've run into, or if you see the bug before I do =), I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.
Ha, nevermind, I found the "bug." It simply wasn't drawing anything =)

Seems I'm in business; thanks!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement