[REQ] Nintendo Samples - FL/Reason

Started by
16 comments, last by nes8bit 18 years, 3 months ago
Does anyone know of any nintendo samples or synths that work with Reason or Fruity Loops? ThxKLOL.
Advertisement
Also: Generators that work outside of the two mentioned programs would be cool too.
What, exactly, do you mean by "Nintendo" samples and synths?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I think the sound can be created with any simple synth (a square wave will work)

jump <----- using a regular square wave and changing pitch up
(use an envlope with moderate attack time and no decay or release to modulate the pitch.

the songs <---notation can be found can be found almost anywhere
just use simple waves

this is all off the top of my head based on experiance, I actually had a friend make a play on the song and he just used simple synthisis and it sounded great. It should be fun to mess around with tho..
as for what synth-- really any would do. it cant be called synth if it dont make those simple sounds

edit--
sorry also im assuming you want mario

but for the classic nintedo feel, its just symple synths,, saw sine and square waves... and their might be a little FM and AM synthisis
Actually I was thinking megaman. I was afraid that nintendo didn't have a preset "midi" type interface. :/
I am sure the only way to get that old nintendo sound is to fumble around with the patches you already have in Reason and FL.

If I am wrong please let me know, this topic really interests me.
Yeah I was hoping there was a preset way of doing this though. Maybe if someone emulated the nintendo instrument set through FL or maybe even sampled them.
As far as I know the NES had five sound channels:
2 Square waves
1 Triangle Wave
1 Noise
1 PCM

The square and triangle wave channels are pretty straight forward. Many games used them for simple sound effects as well as melody, harmony and bass portions.

The noise channel, if I'm guessing correctly, is just static sound. It is often used for various sounds effects or rythym portions.

The PCM channel could be used to play very low quality PCM-based wave samples. Probably around like 8Khz, 8-bit, mono. This channel often used for playing simple wave-based rythym samples and sound effects.

Each channel has it's own pitch and volume (actually, I'm not sure about the pitch for PCM, I kind of doubt it). This allows additional effects to applied to sounds. Using patterns to rapidly change volume, or switching a channel on/off, can produce some of the more 'exotic' effects found in some games.

Perhaps more reseach on the net would do you well? Ahem *emulators*. Cough cough.
Emulators is actually kind of what inspired this idea. I was hoping someone was 10 steps ahead of me and did this already though. :/ I'm too lazy to code. :(
Coding shouldn't be needed. You mentioned FL? As it just so happens, I recently downloaded the trial version and am fiddling around with it now (I'll buy it after the Holidays when my credit card stops smoking ;)

What kind of plug-in's do you have for it. Both the "3x Osc" and "Sytrus" are excellent for this because they can be shaped very easily to match a Nintendo and still add a lot of 'meat' to what would otherwise be a shrill sound. Even if you don't have such plug-ins, you could use a sound editor to create some samples and use them. It very easy to create basic FM square and triangle samples. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds! As far as noise, well, that is just static like I stated before, and the PCM is just a crummy-quality sound sampler.

All-in-all, it shouldn't take more than ten minutes to setup a simple, five-channel, NES project in FL Studio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement