blur question..

Started by
4 comments, last by deavik 18 years, 4 months ago
Still got so much to learn when it comes to opengl but i was trying to get my head around how id add a blur to my game. Im after that sorta blur that is normally around the edges of a flame for example not sure what they call it. Having real difficulty understanding how to do it with what i know currently so simpler the method the better :D. I want to distort the image slightly not alot and in random places a bit like that effect you get in quake when you go under water. Just after a nice simple starting point. One idea i did have but i dont know how to implement this, 1. Id some how copy everything that is currently being displayed into a texture 2. Have an alpha map with the parts of the screen i want blurred 3. blur the texture 4. combine my new blurred texture with my alpha map 5. draw a giant quad over the screen with the new texture Its something id love to know how to do but quite simply dont have a clue at the moment. thx alot for any help.
Advertisement
FBO and glsl is the solution

take a screen capture with fbo and the do all the blur in glsl
then draw to screen aligned quad
-----"Master! Apprentice! Heartborne, 7th Seeker Warrior! Disciple! In me the Wishmaster..." Wishmaster - Nightwish
forgive my stupidity but i dont even know what they are..

Whats the best starting place for getting into those two ?

cheers
Why not try using the accumulation buffer? I have read in many GL books you can do blur with it. I haven't used it myself so I dont know it is performance wise. Maybe one of the MANY experienced GL coders here will help ya.
"I'm a rockstar, baby, baby , baby" -Bizarre
No, do not use accumulation buffer, as on most pc it is very slow.
If you don't know fbo and glsl, you could try render-to-texture, nehe(http://nehe.gamedev.net/) has a tutorial on this.
http://358574108.qzone.qq.com
I don't know if you have read this recent thread, if you haven't go through it--it deals with some of the options you have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement