School Question

Started by
1 comment, last by Segment Fault 18 years, 4 months ago
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place. Anyway, i'm currently researching schools to go to after I graduate from high school next year and i've got a question. So far all my reading and experience has told me the best way to go for college when it ocmes to getting a job in the game industry is Computer Science - degree in that will provide the programming and stuff that people look for. But what about a specific degree in game development? I'm looking at the Savannah College of Art & Design in GA as a possible candidate. From here you can see the courses they give and the degrees offered. How would you rate this compared to going to a different school and taking Computer Science? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
I would recommend against going to a game development specific degree, as a computer science degree surely will give you a broader understanding of the topic. Just because you won't be taking courses directly aimed at game programming does not mean you can't apply the knowledge you get at cs to game programming.
I'd agree. You need a formal education in a CS program. Students that go from highschool to a typical vocational game school (ie, full sail, etc) -- tend to not have as developed problem solving skills than those coming from a 4yr university CS program. If you can't wait, you should attend USC (or similar schools) that offer CS with a video game development emphasis.
If you're interested, read more of what I have to say at my DirectX9 site. - Segment Fault

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement