Programming RPGs with DirectX Book Question

Started by
5 comments, last by BTownTKD 18 years, 4 months ago
I've been looking into a new book to get into and I thought Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX would be a good one to read. I also noticed there is a first and second edition. I would assume to get the second edition but after reading reviews about them the first one got a lot better reviews, and the code from the second edition is said to have compiling errors. I'm not sure which I should go for, would the first edition one be outdated? Thanks.
Advertisement
Is the main focus about programming RPGs, or about programming with Direct X? Because in either case, you could probably do a LOT better. The trouble with game programming books is, there are SO many, and a lot of them aren't as helpful as they could be. Put some thought into what it is you're actually trying to learn. RPGs are just a genre of game, so if you think about what the genre would need, you could apply your general programming knowledge and make it work. These books tend to be 50-70 dollars (sometimes less), so I just think that puttin down that kinda money on something that doesnt seem useful might be a bad idea. Basically just think about what you REALLY want to learn, and get a GOOD SOLID book that focuses on that.
|aaap.penopticon.com| My website, including game projects. Collaboration/comments are welcome, please visit :)
I read the first edition, when I had no previous Win32 or DirectX experience. It didn't help. At all. Also, the RPG elements are really based on the example game on the CD. If you're new to game programming, I would recommend another book. However, if you're not, the book could be a good read for RPG elements - I wouldn't know, I haven't gone back to read it yet (and I'm still a n00b at game programming...)
What book would you guys recommend? Would the next step be Win32 applications as I have not started those yet? One book I have read so far is Beginning C++ Game Programming. Thanks for any help.
Win32 is just an API, as is DirectX. I have the Second Edition of Programming RPG's with DirectX, and I can tell you that it would not be a very good read for someone who just finnished Beginning C++ Game Programming. Try Beginning Game Programming by John S. Harbour. That will walk you through the basics of Win32 programming and DirectX 9.
If you're sharp with your C++ skills (just the "basics"; no templates, patterns or meta-programming skills needed), then the book (Programming RPGs with DirectX) is great.

I've dealt with both editions and, personally, I found the first to be a better book; of course, it covers DirectX 8 rather than 9. If you're willing to make this sacrifice, and then pick up DirectX 9 later on (no large task if you're good with version 8), then I'd say pick the 1st edition. It also includes some extra chapters at the beginning (fairly large ones, too) which discuss storytelling and RPGs in general.

To my knowledge, the first edition is outdated only for it's usage of DirectX 8 rather than 9.
Quote:Try Beginning Game Programming by John S. Harbour. That will walk you through the basics of Win32 programming and DirectX 9.

I am someone who is comfortable with the core language of C++... and I'm also looking to get some books that will help me break into the world of game development, windows API, and directX... i would consider myself to be a high-level beginner or even intermediate experience with C++, and this book you mentioned sounds good. But I think you have two books confused with each other -- are you talking about "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Michael Dawson, or "Game Programming All in One," Second Edition by Jonathon S Harbour?

Also, to the original poster, I have Programming RPGS with directX first edition, and it has a lot of great stuff that could be used in games other than RPGs; it covers scripting languages, item creation, etc. and I -believe- it covers how to make external tools for editing your scripts and items (though I'm not posititve because I havnt read it in-depth yet). It also tells you how to get a game published after you create it (although briefly). The stuff I read so far is great, though I feel some of it is a little beyond me at this point.
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement