Source Code Managing

Started by
23 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 3 months ago
I guess one thing MS can do is interfaces to their development tools. They spend enough on that side of things though!

I like the exclusive checkout thing better than the CVS system.

If it wasn't GPL or whatever I'd consider making a SS-style front-end for SVN/CVS to replace the AWFUL WinSVN/WinCVS. Can't be that hard can it - but then look at the Blender and Gimp interfaces, OS apps seem to rely on you spending a lot of time figuring out how to do anything...
Advertisement
I found GIMP quite easy to use. =0

But I agree, OS tends towards functionality over ease of use. Probably 'cause all the developers are programmers and we (as a group) tend to over-look how hard some things are for other people to figure out since we've been working on something since Day 1 TM.
I can quite see why it's this way. But it's still not good. Out of interest if I made a decent front end for SVN could I sell it if it used SVN source code?
What about if it just called into the SVN commandline?
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Out of interest if I made a decent front end for SVN could I sell it if it used SVN source code?
What about if it just called into the SVN commandline?

Yes. SVN is licensed under more or less the same license as Apache. You could use the Subversion code in a commercial project (just like there have been commercial solutions based on Apache code).
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Although the kind of people who use SVN probably aren't going to want to pay for a front-end to their OS software?!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement