Site Stability Read more... ×
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nemesis2k2

Basic closed-source license?

This topic is 5040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've written a simple app I plan to release publically, however in this perticular case I want to keep it closed source. This has made me aware I actually don't know of any basic closed-source software licenses. I want a license that grants users the right to copy and distribute my application, but doesn't require me to release the source. Is there a "standard" license out there that fills such a role? All the standard licenses I know of are based around the idea of open source. If there are no standard licenses that cover this, does anyone have any suggestions of licenses I can copy or modify? Obviously if I need to modify it it should be as short and straightforward as possible. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Advertisement
Quote:
NAME is Copyright 200X SOFTWARE COMPANY HAME.

NAME is freeware and can be distributed freely as long as it is not
modified.

Then you use this software you do so at your own risk. The author is
not responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the use or
misuse of this software.
Is what I use, at my own risk, since I know I'll never be able to defend my license anyways. :D

Microsoft has a Terms of use, which is fairly useful to rip off. (Pardon the pun).

My personal suggestion is to just read a bunch of freeware licenses and rip off what you like in them.

This one seems pretty good

I don't understand the question. Just release the application with a note saying you apologize if it destroys your hard drive and launches a nuclear strike against France.

CM

Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
I don't understand the question. Just release the application with a note saying you apologize if it destroys your hard drive and launches a nuclear strike against France.

CM

Why would you apologize for that? ;) Anyway, I don't think it would be too hard to create your own "license." Just put somewhere that X is copyright (C) Nemesis2k2 and that you're allowed to freely distribute non-commercially, etc.

Quote:
Original post by bytecoder
Quote:

CM

Why would you apologize for that? ;)

France has nukes as well.

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Quote:
Original post by bytecoder
Quote:

CM

Why would you apologize for that? ;)

France has nukes as well.

Whether they know how to use them is what's important ;)

Normally I wouldn't worry too much about the EULA, but in this case I need the disclamer to be rock solid, as this is one of those few applications that really can cause serious loss of data if used incorrectly (it's designed to automatically delete local accounts and all associated files). As such, I'd prefer to use a license that's had a real laywer involved somewhere in its creation.

Thanks for that link SiCrane. This seems to be just about what I want, but I'm a little worried about how general it is. It seems to be written with a mind more towards the protection of media such as music and art, and how some sections apply to software can be open to interpretation. I'd prefer a license written specifically with software in mind.

Quote:
Original post by Nemesis2k2
[...]As such, I'd prefer to use a license that's had a real laywer involved somewhere in its creation.[...]
I'm not a lawyer.
Be very careful, because few licenses have proper lawyers behind them (based on my judgement of their 'legalese'). As far as I'm aware, the GPL is the only freely available license (remeber - licenses are works and thus copyright by default!) that has had any 'real' work put into it.
I'd be wary of any license that entirely disclaims liability in all circumstances, because the MS licencses I've read limit MS liability to $5 rather than $0, and since MS has the resources for really good lawyers, I'd bet there is a good reason for that clause.
If you're really concerned, you need to hire a lawyer that knows what they're doing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!