[.net] Problem with VB 2005 Express Edition Conversion

Started by
3 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi! I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figure .NET forum should be the right place. I wanted to try converting an old VB6 app to Visual Basic 2005, but the converter gets stuck on Pre-processing the first module. CPU usage is peaked at 100%, but nothing happends (waited for more than 5 minutes). The project compiles without any problems in VB6. Any ideas? Anyone else had a similar problem? Also, will VB6 DX8 projects work when converted to .NET (whilst still using old DX8 COM)? Thanks in advance! Regards, /Omid
Best regards, Omid
Advertisement
I'm not a VB user, but I can tell you it won't work out of the box. VB.NET is very different from VB 6, and you'll probably be required to rewrite (parts) of your application.

Mostly events need to be rewritten, and probably a set of properties aswell.

Good luck with converting.

Toolmaker

Thanks for the reply Toolmaker!

Yes I know this, but I can't rewrite before it actually converts and gives me a conversion report.
Conversion for this very project worked when using VC7, I remember converting for testing about a year ago. I haven't changed much in the source since then, however I do use it as it is and thought of perhaps upgrading it a bit now, since it's getting pretty old and I want to save the time required to write from scratch.

Regards,
/Omid

Best regards, Omid
How about converting it to VS 7 first? My VS 7 projects converted fine to the 2005 version.

Toolmaker

Used my dads VC7 to convert it and then converted to 2005 and it worked!
Thanks a lot mate!

Regards,
/Omid
Best regards, Omid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement