Experimental Idea (kinda stupid)

Started by
4 comments, last by StarikKalachnikov 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I have this stupid idea how you can avoid having to code cross platform and that is create your own operating system. ;) I'm not capable/intelligent enough of doing so, but major companies like Blizzard and EA would be able to do it, right? If I think really simple, you just grab yourself a small linux distribution, adjust it to your own needs put it on CD/DVD (boot capability) and voila. I know that's its not that simple, but like I said it's an experimental idea (kindof stupid). Just a stupid post, would love to hear some pro's and con's.
Next time I give my advice, I'll buy some bubblegum so I won't your kick ass!
Advertisement
What about multitasking?

Lots of gamers use teamspeak etc. Are these companies going to rewrite every application that games might use at the same time as their game?

What about hardware drivers?
Writing your own operating system is not such a hard task, but writing all the required drivers is. Especially because some companies don't provide documentation for their hardware.

Using a modified linux as OS base allows to run the game on every platform that linux runs on. But in this case you may write your game as linux application instead.

Running and booting the game directly from CD/DVD is possible, but people don't like to reboot their system just to run your game. Also think of where to put savegames. You need access to the harddisk for that reason.
Quote:Original post by StarikKalachnikov
Hi all,

I have this stupid idea how you can avoid having to code cross platform and that is create your own operating system. ;)
I'm not capable/intelligent enough of doing so, but major companies like Blizzard and EA would be able to do it, right?

Unfortunately, your idea is flawed and has been discussed several times on this forum. I'm sure EA and companies of the like could acquire the resources to construct their own OS, but there are good reasons why they haven't done so. Why would everyone want to use this OS? What would set it apart? Why would I want to give up my current OS? Others in the forums have thought about creating just a "Games OS"? Is that what you had in mind? In this case, would it support applications that don't involve games? Can it facilitate acting as a server?

Quote:
If I think really simple, you just grab yourself a small linux distribution, adjust it to your own needs put it on CD/DVD (boot capability) and voila.
I know that's its not that simple, but like I said it's an experimental idea (kindof stupid).

Just a stupid post, would love to hear some pro's and con's.

It would be great if everybody used this particular OS, but I doubt that every man/woman would accept it with open arms. Look at the current situation today.

Regards,

GCS584
Chances are it'll be faster due to other tasks not being run, but you might as well be using a console with a keyboard and mouse attached. Then there's always the problem of the OS having to select the appropriate drivers for your hardware (hopefully without any problems). If the games are meant to be played online, that'd only complicate things more. Chances are they'd just stick with the X-Box/X-Box 360/PS2/PS3/etc., since they've already solved a lot of these problems.
I've read some similar posts from the past and think that it is indeed useless/impossible to create the kind of dynamic o.s. I had in mind.

But nonetheless I think that in a perfect world it would be successfull because regarless the platform your developing on (ps3, x-box, pc, etc) it would offer a consistent interface for all platforms. (Somewhat like Java I guess)
Since this isn't a perfect world, people don't like monopolies, etc, it's impossible.

Too bad, nice try, if I may say so myself :)

Starik out!
Next time I give my advice, I'll buy some bubblegum so I won't your kick ass!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement