There is no good and evil...

Started by
73 comments, last by Frank Henry 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Good vampires

damn it!
now I need to clean myself [sad]
Advertisement
Oh please, Sneftel, quit picking on each and every thing I've said or even mentioned. I just wanted to start a discussion. Period.
I find it most interesting the way hollywood does things.
There's a bad guy, that WANTS to take over the world with some completely inane plot, and there's a good guy that DOES go around blowing random things up and shooting random faces for the Noble Ideal Of America that "nobody can disrespect Me, my Property, or my Friends!"
Then there is the way most of the population seems to actually think that way, which turns things from interesting to horrifying.

Personally, I'm waiting for a movie that explores things with a little more depth. They could even include all the standard elements, as long as they show a few extra minutes of the costs, consequences, and reactions of the main characters. I hate it when things end in a "millions of people just died, but it's ok because we made them Pay for their Disrespect" tone.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Evil will always win, because good is dumb.
I find morality to be a handy generator for smart ideas, and even when I feel like doing evil, I have to filter out a lot of my ideas before I get to one that's smart. Being good, I hardly have to filter out anything; it's easy to be good and smart, but hard to be evil and smart.

That's why I don't feel there's much, if any, contradiction between self-interest and morality.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Good and Evil are subjective, since they very from person to person. What forms the feeling or "sensation" behind the word Evil is different for every person, since each "sensation" of Evil per person is built upon from personal experience. Considering we all experience unique lives individually, then you can see my point. This goes for any emotion as well - love, hate, fear - anything.

Also, Good and Evil change a lot dependong on location, the topic of discussion, religion, ethnical background, etc.

For example, in some far East countries it is a delecacy to eat dogs. In North America, some see this as barbaric, even Evil, but it is seen as the norm, or at least tolerated, and is thus considered Good in these far East countries, at least.

It's all about point of view.
________________________________"Fetch me a rope, lynch mob of one." - Randy Blythe, Lamb of God."The masses are asses." - Unkown.
I believe that mostly everybody (from a 'good' family) has been taught 'good' ways of doing things - e.g. ways that are most commonly accepted and are considered noble or good. Then, we're used to doing 'good', while 'evil' ways are still undiscovered. Of course, we've been lying and know that by doing bad things we'll get punished for doing that (in religious context: sin - hell). Although we do not realize that everything we do has consequences - although most of the 'evil' actions has bad consequences (read: punishment) and leaves us with negative emotions, while doing 'good' things leave us with positive emotions. I believe, that most of the society prefers GOOD emotions over bad, thus forcing us to do 'good' things. But, out of necessity, or simply by being mad, we do 'evil' things and we do feel good about them. Why? because it gives us the satisfaction, the sense of achievement? Or the sheer sense that we've done something 'good' for US?

Your responses, please.
Quote:Original post by HellRiZZer
I believe that mostly everybody (from a 'good' family) has been taught 'good' ways of doing things - e.g. ways that are most commonly accepted and are considered noble or good. Then, we're used to doing 'good', while 'evil' ways are still undiscovered. Of course, we've been lying and know that by doing bad things we'll get punished for doing that (in religious context: sin - hell). Although we do not realize that everything we do has consequences - although most of the 'evil' actions has bad consequences (read: punishment) and leaves us with negative emotions, while doing 'good' things leave us with positive emotions. I believe, that most of the society prefers GOOD emotions over bad, thus forcing us to do 'good' things. But, out of necessity, or simply by being mad, we do 'evil' things and we do feel good about them. Why? because it gives us the satisfaction, the sense of achievement? Or the sheer sense that we've done something 'good' for US?

Your responses, please.

You can experience the consecuences of good and evil beyond the punishment of the society. That's internal. I've experienced it myself. When I do evil, everything becomes nonsense.

When you choose good, everything is yet waiting to be explained.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
The 10 Commandments are actually a very good baseline for the laws of a society. Think about all of those things, and what do these sins do - to a society, long term? They deteriorate it. So, since a society is too stupid to realize that killing only leads to more killing, tell them not to do it, give them an ultimatem (heaven / hell), and set them free.
________________________________"Fetch me a rope, lynch mob of one." - Randy Blythe, Lamb of God."The masses are asses." - Unkown.
Quote:Original post by Flarelocke
That's why I don't feel there's much, if any, contradiction between self-interest and morality.

Self-interest is relative.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement