Mathematics

Started by
1 comment, last by Shamino 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, Slice of humble pie coming up... Sometimes when I am involved in researching features for the game I am working on, I become overwhelmed with some of the mathematics involved in the process. I never took math courses above and beyond what my college called 'business and computer math' (e.g. numbering systems, binary/hex arithmetic, amortization, etc), thus my knowledge is severely limited. Due to past programming experience, extra time spent on topics, or sheer willing stubborness, I've managed to get 'pretty far' with the features in the game project I am working on. I understand some basics of vector math, I can code a recursive scene graph which renders just peachy, I understand coordinate systems. However, I feel that I seriously lack what could be a stronger foundation in vector algebra, and as a result, the projects that I work on will be severely limited. If I ever want to be able to write a shader for the game engine I'm working on, I'll never be able to do it with my current state of math knowledge. So I'd like to take a step back, and 'go back to school'. I want to pick up a decent book(s?) or find online tutorials which will take me from the basics to some of the more advanced topics which right now I can't even name due to inexperience. I would be happy with something which begins at a grade 9 level, and allows me to work my way up to post-college/university math, but preferably specifically targetted at graphics systems, or at an end-result which will allow me to further my own goals. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with this endeavor. Mainly, I'd appreciate URLs to online tutorials, books, or 'text book exercises', as I feel that I really need to approach this problem early on, before it becomes a larger problem down the road. Thanks for listening,
Advertisement
Well, at the bottom of this post there are two books. I'd start with the first book, as it's actually targetted to a computer graphics. The second book however is a fantastic reference. It doesn't cover much in the way of numerical methods, so you might want to get a reference book on that too. Numerical Recipies in C or something.

[1] M.E. Mortenson Mathematics for Computer Graphics Applications, ISBN 0-8311-3111-X

[2] K.A. Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics, ISBN 1-4039-0312-3
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Yeah, I just got into Raytracing and collision detection through point-ray algo's...

It's ugly.
----------------------------------------------------------Rating me down will only make me stronger.----------------------------------------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement