Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Shipping out soon

Started by T1Oracle Jan 19, 2006 at 11:51 PM 20 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
T1Oracle
T1Oracle
Not that I really know anyone here, but in event someone wonder's why T1Oracle is missing... In a few weeks I'll be on my way to Iraq. It's my first deployment. I have a month and 3 weeks worth of school to finish. I'm cramming hard, and I'll probably have to retake at least one of my classes (the school won't charge me for the second time around though). Of course the more important part is staying healthy for a year. I'm not infantry but I will be the driver on a tactical team. Sigh, I'm just as wrong for not doing push ups now as I am for posting on the net and not studying. Although I'm also trying to finish a website for my school before I leave as well. Hopefully that's not being too ambitious. Anyway, I hope to see this place when I get back, take good care of it.
Programming since 1995.
Dreddnafious Maelstrom
Dreddnafious Maelstrom
good luck man, hopefully you have a good c.o. and look forward to welcoming you back.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Witchcraven
Witchcraven
My grandpa was a truck driver in WW2. He came back alive and well, laden with nazi loot and interesting stories. I wish you the best of luck, although Iraqi loot is probably illegal and not as good as nazi loot.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
nprz
nprz
Don't die/lose a limb/go crazy. Hope to hear from you when you get back.
jfclavette
jfclavette
Help the Iraqis. They need it.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
haro
haro
Care to share your enlistment story? A friend of mine just shipped out to reception. He signed after numerous assurances of non-deployment from his recruiter. I never got a chance to ask him about his final contract. Really, I'm just curious what most people go through prior to signing up. In any case, good luck.
Kevinator
Kevinator
Quote:
Original post by haro
He signed after numerous assurances of non-deployment from his recruiter.


That's not a promise his recruiter can keep. Your friend should have read those papers he was signing.
haro
haro
Quote:
Original post by Kevinator
Quote:
Original post by haro
He signed after numerous assurances of non-deployment from his recruiter.


That's not a promise his recruiter can keep. Your friend should have read those papers he was signing.


Well aware of that, but he was undeterrable. He was convinced that after basic he was going to be transferred to a stateside tech job.
T1Oracle
T1Oracle
Thanks guys, I do appreciate your support.
Quote:
Original post by haro
Care to share your enlistment story? A friend of mine just shipped out to reception. He signed after numerous assurances of non-deployment from his recruiter. I never got a chance to ask him about his final contract. Really, I'm just curious what most people go through prior to signing up. In any case, good luck.

I was promised the same and found out in Basic that it wasn't true. A lot of people do not read the contract. Also, an act of Congress can change most of it at any time.

My service time will be close to being done once I come back.
Programming since 1995.
LessBread
LessBread
Stay focused, strong, healthy and alive! Drop us a line and let us know how you are when you get there.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
haro
haro
Keep safe! I'd love to hear how things are going if get the chance to post when you're there.
u235
u235
Good luck, man. I hope everything works out for you. I've got a buddy about to come back from Iraq and a buddy that just got to Iraq. If you see Allen Cranfill over there, tell him AJ said hey. My pansy ass, I joined the Navy, so I'll be in the gulf putting warheads on forheads to ease your workload [grin]. Again good luck and hope to see you safely back.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Flarelocke
Flarelocke
Good luck.

I knew there was a reason I joined the Air Force instead of the Army.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Programmer One
Programmer One
Quote:
Original post by Witchcraven
My grandpa was a truck driver in WW2. He came back alive and well, laden with nazi loot and interesting stories. I wish you the best of luck, although Iraqi loot is probably illegal and not as good as nazi loot.


Hey there is a chance he may still find some Nazi loot somewhere in Iraq.
valles
valles
Good luck, have a hobby, keep a good mental attitude, exercise and eat well.
T1Oracle
T1Oracle
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Stay focused, strong, healthy and alive! Drop us a line and let us know how you are when you get there.

Don't know if I can, asside from e-mail.
Quote:
Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Bring me back something cool.

No promises, although I'll be taking a digital camera and voice recorder...
Quote:
Original post by valles
Good luck, have a hobby, keep a good mental attitude, exercise and eat well.

Checks on all three, especially number 1 and 3. Just hope my Design Patterns book doesn't get too damage when I'm there.
Programming since 1995.
mrtie_dye
mrtie_dye
Quote:
That's not a promise his recruiter can keep.

Recruiter's are the car salesmen of the military. When I joined the Army, my recruiter told me that I would automatically get a military credit card and uncle Sam would even give me a car. They don't bend the truth, they just flat out lie.

One of their favorite tactics that I think anyone thinking about signing up should be aware of is telling you that they can change your MOS (Military Occupation Specialty). For instance, I wanted to go in as a 74B Information System Operator/Analyst. My recruiter told me that if that MOS was not avilable I should sign up as a cook and he would do the paperwork to get me changed to a 74B after I was processed in. Luckily for me, my dad warned me about this, and I told them I would walk if I could not go in as a 74B. They magically found a way to make sure I went in as a 74B. Even then, I was not gauranteed to be working in the field they trained me in. (Luckily for me, I did really well in AIT (school) and got a cush assignment working on computers in the headquarters building of the 1st Cav.)

After you swear in, the recruiter no longer cares what happens to you, and even if he/she did, he/she could do nothing to change your assignment. Be very careful with these people. 97% of what they say is lies just to get you processed. I am not trying to discourage anyone from joining, just make sure you KNOW what you are getting into, and don't rely on the recruiter to tell you what to expect.

I wish you the best of luck with your assignment.

Peace
Mr. Tie Dye

[Edited by - mrtie_dye on January 23, 2006 1:41:53 AM]
Marriage is the #1 cause of divorce
Avatar God
Avatar God
Good luck!

For that matter, with everything - school, website, and getting you and your guys around Iraq in the correct number of pieces.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Kevinator
Kevinator
Quote:
Original post by mrtie_dye
Quote:
That's not a promise his recruiter can keep.

Recruiter's are the car salesmen of the military. When I joined the Army, my recruiter told me that I would automatically get a military credit card and uncle Sam would even give me a car. They don't bend the truth, they just flat out lie.

One of their favorite tactics that I think anyone thinking about signing up should be aware of is telling you that they can change your MOS (Military Occupation Specialty). For instance, I wanted to go in as a 74B Information System Operator/Analyst. My recruiter told me that if that MOS was not avilable I should sign up as a cook and he would do the paperwork to get me changed to a 74B after I was processed in. Luckily for me, my dad warned me about this, and I told them I would walk if I could not go in as a 74B. They magically found a way to make sure I went in as a 74B. Even then, I was not gauranteed to be working in the field they trained me in. (Luckily for me, I did really well in AIT (school) and got a cush assignment working on computers in the headquarters building of the 1st Cav.)

After you swear in, the recruiter no longer cares what happens to you, and even if he/she did, he/she could do nothing to change your assignment. Be very careful with these people. 97% of what they say is lies just to get you processed. I am not trying to discourage anyone from joining, just make sure you KNOW what you are getting into, and don't rely on the recruiter to tell you what to expect.

I wish you the best of luck with your assignment.

Peace
Mr. Tie Dye


I came *this* close to signing up via one of the above kinds of recruiters.

Come to find out afterward, my recruiter was the #1 Marine Corps recruiter in the whole U.S.A. [wow]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.