Firewar -- Suggestions Needed

Started by
13 comments, last by georgec 18 years, 2 months ago
The Firewar armor is an exoskeleton, but has its own contained environment, so the wearer can survive in vacuum for a certain period of time.

The customization system is a cross between the Ghost Recon and MechWarriors systems. The player chooses weapons, rounds (high-explosive, shredder, and armor-piercing, among others) and armor adjustments for his team before some missions. In addition, visual gear (helmet flashlights and infra-red visors, etc.), handy tools (active camouflage, a jetpack, etc.), and extras (changing the design of your team's armor)

[Edited by - georgec on January 27, 2006 6:50:08 PM]
Advertisement
I really liked the story. If it were a novel in its own, complete and continued in the potential I saw, I'd definately read it - whether it was intended for a game or not.

I doubt you'll actually name this storyline "Firewar", but in case you're intending to, I just though I'd point out it's a bit blatant. I'd come up with a more creative name if you decided to go through with the storyline. It mightn't sound very possible, but in my opinion, futuristic games don't need to be, so long as they're loosley bounded withing modern reality.

As for the "pre-selection" stage to the game, I hate the idea. I really can't stand games where you're forced to stay with a certain character's abilities, specialities or inventories. I love the oldschool games like Star Wars Jedi Knight (the original ones), where you started off with the basic weapon (some sort of pistol and a lightsaber) and scavenged the "good" weapons as you went, increasing your weapons inventory as you want, with categories for the different weapon types.

That's just me, though. You could always implement that pre-selection stage very lightly, and allow the player to do as they wish as they move along, and not be restricted by hardcoded-combinations of weapons throughout the entire game. Hell, if you were angling towards the "aquired skill" side of gameplay, you could even implement "experience points" for different weapons and vehicles like RPGs have, and make more fluid movements/advanced usages unlock themselves as your certain gun/vehicle experience/levels grew. For example, maybe more accurate bullet paths or better handling.

Even though barely any of that's relevant to what you're after, I figure you're better off with me posting some sort of opinion than none. I do like the storyline, but from what others have been suggesting, I believe it'll restrict the game in certain regions.

But hey, creativity is the key to a successful game now. There's games for everything, so I'd suggest ignoring everyone's opinions and create your own, with no reference at all to any existing productions (games, TV or novels), then ask people you can talk to fluently their opinion afterwards, and make any modifications if needed.

I used to write books all the time, but never ever finsihed one - the main reason for this was that I was too influenced by other sources, and my writing became reproductions of other people's ideas. Copying successful people won't make you successful.

Goodluck with the idea, I hope you can build on it and create a more stable background, it could be a very inspiration storyline to a game provided the gameplay suits the story. Please don't copy the "fixed" character selections. In my opinion, creating your own looks is all a user should be able to do. Weapons should be based on the storyline too, like Jedi Knight's lightsaber sub-storyline. Make significant plots in the storyline unlock new weapons, like cutscenes or intense fights. This way every gun has its own significance, and you get rewarded with a more powerful and interesting armoury as you advance through the game.

But most of all, have fun planning it. The more fun you have, the more unique it'll become.

(From Mattox, registration email hasn't arrived yet) :(
well i liked the whole idea about ICN declaring war on it's former territories in order to regain control.The rest just didn't click.but you've set up most of your story very well.
very robust original storyline! It seems like that could be an INITIAL story for the user, but you could make alot more happen inbetween (side stories) to better accent the story(i.e. Objectives while encountering the 'old colonies' global defense systems, or 'Recon' objectives when 'landing') . I might just be reiterating something you already thought up or getting a little ahead of you or something but just a thought :). Story has great potential!
****************************C:DOSC:DOSRUN..RUNDOSRUN-kkuhl86
Forget it.

[Edited by - georgec on February 20, 2006 4:31:34 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement