Is Delphi good enough for rtgp?

Started by
25 comments, last by gyrfel 23 years, 3 months ago
Hello all! I ''m a newbie in Delphi and Game Programming. - I ''m just wondering; is Delphi good enough tool for a programmer to create a high quality real-time adventure game like WarCraft for example? Or C++ is a must in this case? If it is good enough, is there any example of quality rt adventure game writen in Delphi? - Any good introductory tutorials on the Net on graphics and game programming using Delphi? I found a few but you might know some good ones that I didn''t find. thanx a lot in advance GyLfEr
Advertisement
This was written in Delphi...

www.ageofwonders.com

is that professional enough ???

[ Michael Wilson | turbo sys-op | turbo.gamedev.net ]

Edited by - turbo on January 15, 2001 12:23:49 PM
[ Michael Wilson | turbo sys-op | turbo.gamedev.net ]
I hear that Age of Empires was originally written in Delphi until they got Microsoft as the publisher then they made them switch. Boooo Microsoft!

Delphi is good enough to do anything C++ is don''t let anyone tell you different.
offff courrsseeee ! why not ?

I think, all languages is good enough to make a game. remember, a good game is not only from its language, but also the design, the gameplay, the computer running it, etc.
agree ??? ^_^

--TONY ^_^
--TONY ^_^
You can make a top game in any language, provided that you''re smart ;-) (otherwise no language will be good for you). It''s idiotic to say that C++ is more "advanced" or "powerful" or simply "better" than Delphi just because it''s C++. Remember - the best language is the one you''re efficient in. In fact, u can make a game which will be a lot better than any #1 game at this moment in pure assembly (although it''s a lot of work ;-)).

Cheers
- Lifepower
(Haven''t been on these boards for ages... Cheerz Michael)
I fully agree with mr lifepower !

--TONY ^_^
--TONY ^_^
Hi there,

saw an interesting article on Delphi3D the other
day about performance of code from several compilers
and it transpires that delphi is faster than c++builder.
according to the tests carried out there.
And that''s why we have DelphiX for our help, to make us do better games! ))

Of coz you can program games in wich programming language you prefer, and I prefer DelphiX, I have my own Shoot''em up, don''t finished yet, but a good start anyway!
My group will do any effort to make games in Delphi, so don''t let MS get you guys!

Marco Eberhardt
ME
For me, I believe that the only things Microsoft have, which is better than Borland Delphi, is only his "line editor". All other is simply *suck*.

--TONY ^_^
--TONY ^_^
I started out with DelphiX but have since moved on to using DirectX 8 headers from delphi-jedi. Was this a good move? I dont think DelphiX was past DX7 was it and now my code is almost exactly the same as all the C++ examples so it is much easier to learn from all those C++ tutorials on the net.

As for developing games in Delphi, the only problem I can see is lack of support. Almost all tutorials are for C++, but then again, if you know Delphi well, go for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement