Remote reboot windowsxp

Started by
11 comments, last by MrEvil 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I have a windows xp network and a linux serveur. How from linux server to reboot windows stations ? thanks
Advertisement
I can't think of the name of the program in linux, but they do have a remote desktop client in linux that can connect to windows verisons that run terminal server/remote desktop. You can restart them that way. Else you might look for a program that can reboot the computer from a remote signal (wouldn't be that hard to program).

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

if i remember right the tool is called "tsclient".
really nifty to work with!

chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is finished

I did not found a program that reboot xp on linux
do u realy think tsclient can remotely reboot windows (with command line)
Well you would have to actively access the remote desktop and then issue the reboot command. In XP you can click on the Windows Security button on the taskbar (which appears in remote desktop mode), or use taskmgr and choose reboot. I'm looking at a remote connected computer right now. I reboot them all the time. I know its possible.

And as far as a program, just write your own. Look up on creating service programs. Then lookup using Winsock2 for networking. And then you want how to get the security permissions to reboot the computer. All of this is avaialble in the MSDN library. Then you would just need to write a small linux program which uses berkeley sockets to send a message to the windows machine to reboot.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

hehe, i have done it. I have a service on NT to reboot the PC, BUT it doesnt work (i add the privilege to reboot). When nobody is loged, the reboot doesnt work (Error : device is not ready). That's why im searching a program.
If this is a one-installation situation where you want it to work with just two specific machines, then just write a small windows service that listens on a certain port and waits for a certain packet, or something.

I could write one in a couple hours, fairly simple.

Dave
Oh and delete the other topic.
Hmmmmm

My winservice do that. But the InitiateSystemShutdown function doesnt work when nobody is logged !!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement