how do you make a repetitive tedious task fun?

Started by
26 comments, last by ScottC 18 years, 3 months ago
I just can't think of a way to take the repetition out of crafting, how to make it fun. Anyone got any ideas? Its for a modern city online rpg.
Advertisement
It would be cool if the userr had some part in it (IE not right click wool -> make sweater), but actually takes some player skill. I have no idea how to implement this though...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Wait... are you talking about real life, or in the actual game?
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo
It would be cool if the userr had some part in it (IE not right click wool -> make sweater), but actually takes some player skill. I have no idea how to implement this though...

Yea... Thats kinda the idea I had... add some player input to it... But how?

Wait... are you talking about real life, or in the actual game?

Modern City RPG... I some how don't think that'll apply to real life. :P
Here is an idea...

While making any craft, a little bar is at the bottom. A mark on the bar can randomly slide right or left. The user must keep the mark as close to the center as possible (much like grinding in Tony Hawk). When it hits the end, you break/rip/etc whatever you are creating. More difficult objects are harder to balance. Also, as your skill increases, it is easier to do for the object...

Seems pretty difficult to implement though...
Here is an idea...

While making any craft, a little bar is at the bottom. A mark on the bar can randomly slide right or left. The user must keep the mark as close to the center as possible (much like grinding in Tony Hawk). When it hits the end, you break/rip/etc whatever you are creating. More difficult objects are harder to balance. Also, as your skill increases, it is easier to do for the object...

Seems pretty difficult to implement though...

Thats a pretty cool idea. Its fairly easy to implement as well. I came up with a cool idea, and your idea changed that basic idea. Say a player is making an AK47, I was thinking perhaps when making say the thing that goes in the shoulder, and perhaps other wood style parts, they would have to guide a drill along a line, and the more they deviated from the line, the lower quality it would be.

Edit: The line would of course be in the shape of the piece that they happen to be creating.
Are you talking about playing this game, or making this game? If it's already made, it was most likely designed to appeal to mindless droning 10-year-olds. Anything that involves 'click this, get this, click this' is repetitive like that.

If you're making the game, try to make the process by which you craft different objects completely different. Maybe you have to find an item that spawns somewhere, then treat it in some way to make it suitable for crafting. Then you combine it with other items and prepare it in other unique ways. Each craftable item is completely unrelated to the processes of other items.

Give each craftable item these long processes that gives lots of experience at the end. If each step gives experience, you'll just have people doing 500 instances of the item at each step and the repetition is the same. Therefore you could make the 'intermediate' stages of half-done stuff untradeable. This way, people wouldn't/couldn't prepare tons of crafting items that are 30 seconds of work away from giving tons of experience and then sell them for tons of money to crafters.

Edit: should this topic be moved to game design section?
Upward, but not Northward
Quote:Original post by TheUberCuber
Are you talking about playing this game, or making this game? If it's already made, it was most likely designed to appeal to mindless droning 10-year-olds. Anything that involves 'click this, get this, click this' is repetitive like that.

If you're making the game, try to make the process by which you craft different objects completely different. Maybe you have to find an item that spawns somewhere, then treat it in some way to make it suitable for crafting. Then you combine it with other items and prepare it in other unique ways. Each craftable item is completely unrelated to the processes of other items.

Give each craftable item these long processes that gives lots of experience at the end. If each step gives experience, you'll just have people doing 500 instances of the item at each step and the repetition is the same. Therefore you could make the 'intermediate' stages of half-done stuff untradeable. This way, people wouldn't/couldn't prepare tons of crafting items that are 30 seconds of work away from giving tons of experience and then sell them for tons of money to crafters.

Edit: should this topic be moved to game design section?

I am the programmer for this game. I would like to prevent the 'click this, get that' type of crafting.
Quote:From the title

By eliminating them.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:From the title

By eliminating them.

I'd rather replace them with something fun, flat out removing crafting from the game removes content from the game, thats no good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement