2D sprites

Started by
1 comment, last by Derakon 18 years, 2 months ago
I want to be able to render this guy in 8 different directions, with different frames of animation. Example: -When walking I want 5 animations simulating his movement -When drawing his weapon I want 8 frames of animation -When attacking I want 10 different images, for 4 different attack sequences What's the easiest way of doing this? I also need to make him as clean as possible. Any suggestions on an art program? I'm currently using photoshop Here's the link to the sprite Jason
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
Advertisement
Photoshop is the best program you can use, i use it for all my pixelart. Of course you could use gimp too - its free. But since you allready have photoshop, theres no reason to use it. I find that gimp doesn't render the lines you draw with freehand very well.

Animations is never easy if you haven't tried it before. I think the best way would be to use some kind of rotoscoping with some sprites from 'real' games. Just be glad you aren't working with animation of pixelart characters in isometric view...
Decide on a set of key frames. For example, if he's walking horizontally across the screen, then your keyframes might be one with his right foot in front and one with his left foot in front. That gives you two frames of animation. To get more frames, simply draw in-between states between the key frames. You can double the "resolution" of the animation by drawing a frame between every key frame, and then double it again by drawing a new frame between the four frames you have, and so on.

It's a lot of drawing, which is part of why 3D models are so popular these days.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement