3D Models

Started by
4 comments, last by slowpid 18 years, 2 months ago
Hey all, Ive practically created a 3D shooter, only thing left is to implement some models, atm im using triangles for players and bots. Problem is i hve no idea about models, i have no idea how to implement them, i have no idea where i could get some free ones from, i have no idea how i was animate them. Pretty much no idea at all. So any starter hints and tips, maybe good resources would be greatly apprecitated :) Thanks in advance, Nick
Advertisement
Heh, just while I'm writing a .ms3d loader...

Basically models are just a bunch of vertices and faces. Each face contains the indices of the vertexes it uses and their normals (you can save a face normal instead if you like flatshading, but usually smooth shading looks better ;)). A face also contains the uv coordinates for the texture applied to it.
Usually faces are grouped, where each group has a texture applied to it. This can vary some depending on the model filetype you're using, but you get the idea here.

As for animating, this is usually done with a bone-system, where each vertex is attached to a bone. The positions and rotations of these bones are stored in so-called keyframes, where their position and such between these keyframes is interpolated (so you don't have to save their position for every frame). Usually a bone is parented to another bone, so whenever a bone rotates, all it's child bones rotate with it (and as such, also the vertices attached to them). Much comparable to our own skeletons. :)

Well, after you've established the structure that will hold the models, you'll have to fill them in by reading data from model files. You've got to know how these files are structured to be able to interpret their data correctly.
However, there are probably file loaders for several well-known filetypes around already, so it may be worth searching a bit beforehand.

As for free models, there's a sticky on this board with some links that you could give a try. Good luck. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
ms3d sucks.

And to the OP, how can you say you've practically created a 3d shooter when you haven't even addressed a fairly fundamental feature required for any non-trivial 3d application?
If using D3D then try to stick to the X file format while you learn. You may export X from almost any 3D package. And D3DX has a lot of model loading functions.

I'd even suggest you to use the D3DXCreateShape function in order to create some basic shapes (spheres, boxes... even a teapot) and use them while you learn.

Luck!
Guimo

Blender's a pretty nice tool for 3D modelling. I just downloaded it a couple weeks ago and started through their tutorial - n00b to pro. It goes pretty slow, but I've done some other modelling before.

I think it has an X format file export, so you should be able to use that format as Guimo suggests. And use the text X files if you want to be able to have a look inside and guess what's going on.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
And to the OP, how can you say you've practically created a 3d shooter when you haven't even addressed a fairly fundamental feature required for any non-trivial 3d application?

To a programmer, art isn't the focus. And frankly, id be perfectly content shooting box's and triangles if it was fun; art isn't always first on everyones mind.

To the OP:

I suggest turboquid, if you dont mind paying a bit they have content packs with complete characters, many with their own animations.

second to that, because I know you dont want to pay, there is anim8tor and blender used in conjunction with free models, some of which can be found on turbosquid (im guessing, they do have alot of free stuff) and other places [google] I think I remember one called 'low-poly co-op' but I cannot remember correctly.

good luck.

slowpid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement