Using the Multi/Sub Object Texturing Method in 3dsMAX

Started by
2 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 2 months ago
Hey guys, I'm working a 3D project involving texturing a large building for a DirectX runtime. Our programmer created a proprietary model format using MAXscript and the only texturing method he has setup is using Unwrap UV's. The problem is that the size of this building lends itself more to the use of a standard repeating texture using Multi/Sub Object in MAX. Is it possible to include the use of this (Multi/Sub-Object instead of UV's) texturing method? How difficult would it be on a scale of 1-10? (He's a really advanced programmer, been doing 3d stuff for almost 10 years) We talked about it briefly but he really hasn't investigated the possibilty and I want to make sure its doable before I request that feature. Any other tips? Thanks, gallion311
Advertisement
I don't really understand what you are asking.

I wrote the exporter for our company and there is really no difference between a single material on an object or multi/sub-object materials.

A geometry has one or more UV streams on it. These are used to texture the currently active texture during rendering. If a geometry has multiple materials assigned through multi/sub-object the model has to be split along the material boundaries so that different textures can be set before each part of the model is drawn. This is what D3D's mesh format does with it's DrawSubset() function.

You will always want to use UVs for texturing your object - don't use the UV mirror or tile options in Max since they don't really have any simple equivilent at runtime (unless you write texture transform matrix options, and that's wasteful).

I would think that supporting multi-sub object materials is a MUST for an exporter. How else do you texture models? It's not realistic to have to put EVERYTHING in one texture per model.

- S
Thanks Sphet, thats exactly what I was looking for.

I had the same sentiment, in that it's imperative to include some way to repeat a texture. UVW mapping is great for characters and "compact" models, but repeating textures are a must for large evvironments.

I'll pass this along to my programmer. I was beginning to think I was missing something...

Thanks again!

gallion311

Is what you're talking about is the "scale" and "offset" parameters of the material itself?

Yes, those parameters are accessible to the programmer, and he can just apply those to the UV coordinates when he exports. You can use those at the same time as you use unwrap UV if you want.

Another option is to use the "UVW Map" modifier, and make the texture tile by scaling the gizmo smaller than the object. Chances are, that approach will work without him even changing his exporter.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement