[MDX] Color Mapping (I think its called this).

Started by
2 comments, last by Thevenin 18 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to allow players to change the colors of various parts on their characters. Their characters are 2D (Implemented in DirectX9.0 using D3D-Sprite class). I'm using a gray-scale image, and then a region colored image. If I had pixel access, this would be no problem, but I don't so now I'm confused. [depressed] (My project is being done in C#) How should I go about doing this?
Advertisement
Why not use vertexes that are coloured and alter the vertex colour components as needed ?
Quote:Original post by Phillip Hamlyn
Why not use vertexes that are coloured and alter the vertex colour components as needed ?

To be quite honest, my skills with DirectX don't extend past D3DSprite. However, I don't believe this excludes your solution. I'm able to set the color of the MDX.Draw() command, but I believe this applies 'overlay'. If my knowledge of GIMP is accurate, the effect I'm after is 'multiply'. I could be wrong...

Quote:Original post by Thevenin
I'm able to set the color of the MDX.Draw() command, but I believe this applies 'overlay'. If my knowledge of GIMP is accurate, the effect I'm after is 'multiply'. I could be wrong...

Did some tedious testing just now. Confirmed the following.

• Transparency is not 'multiply'.
  • MDX.Draw()'s color property is 'multiply'.
  • The effect I'm after is 'multiply'.

Looks like this mystery is solved then; I just have to apply the user's color choice into the Draw().
  • This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement