[.net] w3wp.exe -- cannot attach to the process on a 64-bit WinXP machine

Started by
1 comment, last by Truckhunter 18 years, 2 months ago
I'm running Windows XP 64-bit and using Visual Studio .NET 2003. I need to attach to the process w3wp.exe (the one running is in SysWOW64\inetsrv), but I keep getting the message, 'unable to attach to process'. I have tried rebooting, restarting IIS and other little things I have found on Google. Have any of you guys an idea of how to overcome this error?
Advertisement
Maybe VS 2005 can debug external 64 bit code? If that doesn't work for you, you could get the 64 bit WinDbg instead and try that.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Yes; you will need to get VS 2005 to do so. 64 bit support wasn't added until that release.

You could try using WinDbg, but a much friendlier option would be to download one of the Express editions of VS 2005. Or, if you just install the SDK, DBGCLR supports 64 bit.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the versions in SysWOW64 should be the 32 bit versions, so technically it shouldn't be a problem. That being said, a minimal amount of work was done to make sure VS.NET 2003 still runs on 64 bit machines, so it wouldn't be too surprising if it's a product bug that was fixed in 2005. I would suggest installing one of the 2005 debuggers and seeing if you get the same problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement