Externally Influanced Game Content

Started by
3 comments, last by Way Walker 18 years, 1 month ago
I wish there was a better name for it and maybe there is, but this is an old untapped concept that i have seen used only twice before. Lets say you have a game, could be any genre, but it has no prerended levels or events. In order to get levels or events you have to pop in your favorite CD and select a song, after doing so the game conjurs a level with events, enemies, items etc bassed off that Music. Say you have the same type of game but instead of music you load a picture into the game and it creates a level bassed off that. How this would be done im not entiorly sure, but it would seem that if done right you could have endless level designs as long as there is differant music, pictures etc to scan. I got the idea from the original "Monster Rancher" where to get a new monster you had to pop in a music CD into the consol and it would create a monster. The proccess of doing this wasnt realy that complex but its was not random, so the CD itself made the differance between what you do and dont get. This was also done in "Sonic and Knuckles" where you could put other SEGA games on top of the "Sonic and Knuckles" game and it would generate a bonus level. Now i could imagine this being used on a small scale like with a puzzle game but could it be used to create endless FPS Multi-player maps, or RPG Dugeons , or maybe even content for MMOs?
BLOG: http://rhornbek.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
very creative...

I don't know how the unit would know another CD was sitting on TOP of it though... very interesting concept none-the-less.

I guess it could be done, but for it to truly be responsive to the music you'd have to extract some specific data (patterns and such) from the music... Would be interesting, but how would it go and completely create new levels from that data?
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
I think there was a game on SEGA called REZ, that used a somewhat similar idea. You should try and tap on this.

I think I remember also something na&med barcode battlers. It made use of the barcodes to generate stats for fighting creatures. You had a small barcode laser reader on teh side of the game, and you were supposed to fight against your friends using an infrared connection. It's quite old, though...

I guess there are more of these, around the block. Every new idea is quite old...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
There was a PS1 game called "Vib Ribbon" that, if I remember right, generated side-scrolling levels based on an inserted music CD.
How do these use the data you give them? My guess would be as a source of "random" numbers, or else just reinterpretting the data. What about something more sophisticated? For example, has anyone made a program that generates DDR patterns from music (something like a "visualization" program)?

I haven't done any tests to know if this has any possibility of working, but here's something I'm imagining:

Use cel-shaded graphics because they can look nice without texturing (maybe bump maps or whatever you crazy graphics people use these days for details?). Use edge finding algorithms to divide the image into sections. For each section, determine the predominant colors and use those to color the environment. Take the fourier transform of a section and use the frequency information to decide how twisted/mazelike or straight/open that section is, and maybe even to scale (or other transformations?) the objects there.

This would hopefully give some of the image's character to the level generated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement