opengl/directx

Started by
4 comments, last by Oni Sephiroth 18 years, 1 month ago
what exactly is the difference between opengl and directx? I hear a lot about directx but currently i am learning opengl. Is one better than another? BTW how many of you use macromedia flash? I'm just wondering cause i didnt see a forum on it here, but if there was i'd be glad to help (cause it's all i'm really good with at this moment)
Advertisement
Direct3D vs. OpenGL at wikipedia.

There is nothing stopping you from creating a game which can give the user the choice of using OpenGL or Direct3D for rendering - for example: World of Warcraft

OGRE or Irrlicht can both do this and have their souce code available.

[Edited by - Will F on March 16, 2006 9:36:25 PM]
I'm going to go on and move this to For Beginners.
OpenGL can be used easily by more systems cause it is easy to port. I would say learn both if you have time or at least a little about both. One isn't really better than the other. Just find one that you like and that is easy for you to understand and go from there.
If you want to create a game that is cross platform then OpenGL is the way to go. If you are just wanting to use Windows, then it really dosen't matter.

Also, DirectX is one big API. It provides functions to do input through DirectInput, while OpenGL is only for graphics only.

It is up to you. I personally use DirectX because creating games on Macs and Linux machines are not the top priority of mine.

Chad.
DirectX will only work on windows, where OpenGL will work on macs and whatnot. OpenGL is also graphics only. And last time I checked, directX is faster than OpenGL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement