Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

languages that work with linux?

Started by westside_indie Mar 22, 2006 at 7:08 PM 11 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
westside_indie
westside_indie
My computer teacher said that computers running Linux are less prone to getting viruses and being hacked, so I'm thinking to switching to Linux. But I have a few questions about it: 1. Would I have to use Open GL, or can I use DirectX. 2. I already know I can use Python on Linux, but what about Java? Can I use that with Linux? And I think C++ can be used with Linux, right? Thanks!
jonahrowley
jonahrowley
DirectX is not portable to... well.. anything really. Microsoft kinda does that on purpose. OpenGL is an industry standard, you can use it on all kinds of stuff.

As for languages, there are a lot of choices. The GNU C and C++ compilers are very good, so C++ is a strong option. Java is another option, but I still don't see why people like the language. There are also maybe 5 decent interpreted languages you could use, Python being one of them.
westside_indie
westside_indie
So no for directX? Oh well, I can live without that. However, I'm thinking that Java would be good because my teacher said (my computer teacher who got me interested in programming, by the way) that things done with DirectX can be done in Java. I've heard of Python as a game programming language, but I've heard it's kind of slow when you get into the 3d stuff. Is Java very good for making 3d games? Also, what 3d modellers are there for Linux (Is blender one)? Thanks for the replies!
Roboguy
Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by westside_indie
So no for directX? Oh well, I can live without that. However, I'm thinking that Java would be good because my teacher said (my computer teacher who got me interested in programming, by the way) that things done with DirectX can be done in Java. I've heard of Python as a game programming language, but I've heard it's kind of slow when you get into the 3d stuff.

Python can be slow, but it is possible to speed it up sometimes by writing bits which need to be fast in C or C++.

Quote:

Is Java very good for making 3d games?

It depends.
Quote:

Also, what 3d modellers are there for Linux (Is blender one)? Thanks for the replies!


Blender is a popular one.
gumpy
gumpy
you might be interested in pygame. i haven't used it (or python) myself, but i've heard many good things about both.
This space for rent.
Bregma
Bregma
Quote:
Original post by westside_indie
... things done with DirectX can be done in Java.


Things that can be done in DirectX can be done in OpenGL as well.

Java is a fine environment for learning in, but you will likely find the hassles of dragging around this huge emulator and its libraries to be cumbersome and eventually want to switch to something more powerful but more difficult to use (eg. C++).

Don't shy away from using Java (or Python, etc) to start with.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side (Linux). Feel the power surging.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer
phantom_of_the_opera
phantom_of_the_opera
Quote:
Original post by Bregma
Things that can be done in DirectX can be done in OpenGL as well.


And what about Directsound? Is there a "full" alternative? So can the alternatives (for ex. OpenAL ) compete with DirectSound?
Thanks
the phantom of the Opera
igni ferroque
igni ferroque
SDL is a popular library that you can use to create/manage an OpenGL context, handle input, sound, and other things that DirectX is used for. OpenAL was used in Unreal Tournament 2003, among other titles.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by westside_indie
My computer teacher said that computers running Linux are less prone to getting viruses and being hacked...

LOL!

Ah, complacency. I await the 0wning of thousands of poorly-administered Linux boxen worldwide. [smile]
dawidjoubert
dawidjoubert
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by westside_indie
My computer teacher said that computers running Linux are less prone to getting viruses and being hacked...

LOL!

Ah, complacency. I await the 0wning of thousands of poorly-administered Linux boxen worldwide. [smile]


it is partially true though, it is less prone to getting viruses since its not as big a target as windows (yet). as for the getting hacked part it would depend on what software the linux box runs.
The main advantage of linux is that you don't need to be root (admin) to install and run software but if you are lazy and simply use the root account all the time your system will be just as insecure as windows.

ofcourse you can avoid using the administrator account for windows aswell but for some reason software and game developers try their best to make it a pain in the ...
this is not really microsofts fault, its the fault of software developers in general and to some extent computer manufacturers (my brand new HP machine came with windows XP preinstalled and the default user called "HP Owner" has full access).

steps to get a secure linux machine:
A) don't run anything as root unless absolutely necessary.
B) use a firewall and antivirus software.
C) update your software regulary.

steps to get a secure windows machine:
A) don't run anything as administrator unless absolutely necessary.
B) use a firewall and antivirus software.
C) update your software regulary.


On the same note the insecurity included with windows is because of it's default settings/services. For example, remote registry,remote assistance and file sharing are all enabled by default.

Depending your distribution of linux will determine what services are installed by default.

SO i would say (opinion) on a scale of 1-10 of security linux comes in 8,windows 6 and os x (i dont know) probable 6-8.
----------------------------http://djoubert.co.uk
Sijmen
Sijmen
Quote:
Original post by dawidjoubert
SO i would say (opinion) on a scale of 1-10 of security linux comes in 8,windows 6 and os x (i dont know) probable 6-8.


What did you base these grades on? Microsoft has been improving Windows security greatly, and Linux security varies greatly between the services/deamons or distribution running. And if you don't know anything about OS X security, don't give it a grade.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.