Image Recognition

Started by
14 comments, last by TriKri 18 years ago
Im designing an ai that needs to be able to play a game the same way as a human. The only data it will get about the game is an array of integers that represent pixels. Another very useful thing would be the ability to create characters from pixels or actually reading letters off the screen. This may be unrealistic but i could simplyfy the task because the game uses only one font. Ive done quite a few searches and gotten some info but i would really appreciate any info that anyone could give me on any topic that this ai needs. Ive gotten a demo to work but it only plays pong and does it relatively poorly Thanks
Advertisement
Drop me an email at

luiscarrasco@gmail.com
Recognition of images, letters, and geometric reconstruction is a huge area of science and technology. You can check Computer Vision online library to get an overview:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/
Some of methods are very fast and work even on the cellular phone with camera.
But the only way you would really need it if you AI control a real robot in the real world. If your AI is acting in the simulated enviroment you can get the same behavior a lot more easy if you just chek the line of site, distance to object, introduce artificial errors based in them and just send coordinates and identifiers to AI.
Search for those keywords:
pattern matching,
pattern recognition,
content-based indexing,
machine learning.

Some good journals/conference with papers on this subject:

journals: Journal of Pattern Matching, Artificial Intelligence (journal)

Conferences: ICPR, CVPR, ICCV

The 'popular' approach right now for image recognition is through "support vector machines". Tons of papers on this, it has rised in favor while people are abandoning connectivist methods.

Good luck!

edit: serg3d is right by the way, its a HUGE area, be prepared for a LONG litteracy review.
Thanks for the replies guys :-)
This will take all your RAM[random access memory] and all of allot of disk space.
Check my forus at http://s14.invisionfree.com/tsoftor http://tjsoftware.tk
Another thing to note is that your solution will be *very* specific to the game your AI is playing. Pong, for example, is relatively simple, you only need to recognize 3 simple objects (1 ball, 2 paddles), this can be made easier by using different colours for each object. Getting an AI to play Doom 3 this way however would be nigh impossible without a supercomputer.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
lol dont worry my ai wont be playing doom anytime soon. I know i could do some simple solutions with pong, for example i could test only two columns to find the top left x and ys of the paddles and then just look for the rop left ball coordinate. Actually thats what ive started to do but it feels like my ai is cheating.
If you're only using one font, you can use a simple pattern matching routine (cross correlation) to recognize letters.

It doesn't have to be anything complicated, since you're not matching unknowns-to-knowns (like face detection), but are mapping knowns-to-knowns.

The more I think of it, the more I think a cross-correlation algorithm will work for you.

Like joanusdmentia said, this will be very specific to one application.

Almost forgot: What are you working on??? Can we see it? It sounds cool.
Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com
If i ever finish ill post something, been busy lately though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement