ode to oblivion

Started by
11 comments, last by zedzeek 18 years, 1 month ago
inspired by the nice looking (but flat) outdoor scenery in oblivion, i decided to briefly give my game a rest and throw my friemel stuff into a single app. since im moving house tomorrow im posting what i have now instead of polishing it off. this prolly wont work on ati cards (requires opengl2.0 and 4096x4096 texture support) observations - shadows were just quickly thrown in, im implementing LispSM. theres a single shadowmap of 16bit 4096x4096 thus u will need a decent card (prolly 128mb required, my 128mb card cant do 4096x4096@24bit pity cause itll solve a lot of the zfighting issues) - the terrain is not casting shadows, this is due to zfighting in my hacky implementation. this results in some visual errors eg the rocks shadows floating in air. - the grass is not casting shadows, this is due to it making the grass an extra ~30% more expesive cpuwise to calculate - shadows are only cast from onscreen objs thus you may see the shadows flicker when the shadowcasters are offscreen. - sometimes things that are onscreen get culled? i dont know why, some BB's are failing the BB vs viewfrustum test for some reason. i havent had time to look at solving this yet. - this is using an old version of the bollux engine which is more tuned for lots of lights + not a sungle light (the sun) like here. - i believe i can improve the various algorithms performance by 50-100% - whilst this runs pretty slow on the pc, its designed more for multiple cores (with say the cell i see no reason why it cant hit 100fps with heaps more grass, trees etc + also double the draw distance ) - all artworks done by me, so is pretty quickly done, looks a bit cartoonish. - landscape size == 1square km, point of view ==1.8 meter above terrain http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=8082e998502a67c2c911d2a4 first time u startup the program it may take a minute or so. keys mouse/movement, w/wireframe, s/skeltons, space/stop sun moving. ill upload a linux version if anyone wants. zed
Advertisement
You didnt include SDL.dll, and I'm too lazy to go find it.

And your link linkified for the lazy
i have SDL.dll but i got memeory a 0x00000000 could not be read error box
couldn't create the_log_file.logcouldn't create the_errorlog_file.logentering mainFriday 31 March 2006 06:30:29..[3] starting program..[3] initializing SDL videoSDL window initializedsetting up game options**ERROR**[458] no options.txt file..[458] initializing bogus SDL openGL window..[1234] freeing sdl surface------ CPU info ----------RDTSC:    1MMX:      1MMXExt:   03DNow:    03DNowExt: 0SSE:      1SSE2:     1AltiVec:  0..[1235] initializing SDL window..[1235] video mem: 245MBasking for videomode 1024x768@32..[1235] compiled with SDL version 1:2:9..[1235] running with SDL version 1:2:9resizing window from (1024,768) to (1024,768)..[1302] initializing rendermanagerinitializing openGL-- unsupported opengl extensions --the graphics card doesnt have the necessary capabilitys

pentium m1.6, 512mb, 9700ati, 40gb
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Quote:Original post by Uthman

initializing openGL
-- unsupported opengl extensions --
the graphics card doesnt have the necessary capabilitys

pentium m1.6, 512mb, 9700ati, 40gb

Quote:Original post by zedzeek
this prolly wont work on ati cards (requires opengl2.0 and 4096x4096 texture support)

Throw up some screenshots for those of us at work ;)
Was missing SDL, had to find a compatible version from the tens of files i have on my hdd.

It does look pretty good. The terrain is nice, but i noticed some bad lighting (long strips/lines of darkened vertices) in some places. I think that's a problem with the accuracy of your normals/heightmap. The grass texture is cartoonish, as you said. IMO it doesn't look very good. At least you could get ride of their black outline. Noticed some minor problems in the shadowing of rocks and frustum culling (rocks disappearing at 10 meters in front of me). Ran pretty smooth, but couldn't see a framerate counter, so i can't give any number.

Y.
Some screenshots for those of us with ATi cards would be nice...
sdl ( i thought most game developers would have this on their HDs ) can be gotten here
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.9-win32.zip 100kb download
heres an image, though this is something that has to be seen in motion.

Quote:i noticed some bad lighting (long strips/lines of darkened vertices) in some places. I think that's a problem with the accuracy of your normals/heightmap

yeah it must be the normalmap as theres no vertice lighting. i used nvidia normalmapper to make it.
Quote:Noticed some minor problems in the shadowing of rocks and frustum culling (rocks disappearing at 10 meters in front of me)

the shadowing i can make better (it wasnt a focus for this demo so i just quickly threw it in) but yes the rocks disappearing is a bug, which ill solve when i get time. (im moving house today + may not have internet access for a while, which not so bad and since im moving to a town i can get broadband, or at least nz's equivilant)
That is sweet...
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement