stdext::hash_map vc8

Started by
4 comments, last by Conner McCloud 18 years ago
Hello Why is hash_map moved to namespace stdext in visual studio 2005?
Advertisement
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ek139e86(VS.80).aspx

since when did they start to care :)
quite some time, actually.. :D
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Yeah, that confused the hell out of me when all my code broke converting from VS7 to 8. Makes sense though.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Quote:Original post by python_regious
Yeah, that confused the hell out of me when all my code broke converting from VS7 to 8. Makes sense though.

Sadly, it always makes sense when it becomes a big problem for everyone else.
Didn't anybody at Microsoft know that it wasn't part of the standard in the first place?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
Quote:Original post by python_regious

Sadly, it always makes sense when it becomes a big problem for everyone else.
Didn't anybody at Microsoft know that it wasn't part of the standard in the first place?

Microsoft knew a lot of things weren't part of the standard in the first place, and did them anyhow. At some point, you have to admit that you fucked up in the past and do the right thing from there on. In this case, moving those non-standard structures into non-standard namespaces is the right thing to do.

That said, MS provides a flag to move them back into std::. So if your code breaks and you don't want to fix it, just enable MS extensions and disable the resulting warning. Problem solved.

CM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement