Writing a new RPG game

Started by
39 comments, last by fdominek 18 years ago
Ok so I'm writing a script for an RPG game.. i got about 25pgs or so written.. and it goes deeper than just the story...what im writing basically outlines how the game should play and all the things that should be included in it. And I've talked to alot of people that say after reading what i have so far that it would make an awesome game. In any case my question is basically what're the chances of selling a script like that to a high end company so the game can be published/animated/basically made correctly?... Just trying to find out if its worth my time to even try selling it or just wait till i get out of college to make it...
Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war. - William Shakespeare
Advertisement
not good most compnys stay away from that for legal resons,
might want to take a look at gamemaker or rpgmaker xp
What you have done might make an awesome game. That's wonderful.

But the odds that a publisher would want to buy your script are zero. Nada. Zilch. None.

Such a thing does not happen, nor will it ever happen in the forseable future.

I suppose if you were best friends with lots of people in the company, then you might have an infinitely small chance of it happening, but still essentially none at all.

Required reading.
Quote:Ok so I'm writing a script for an RPG game.. i got about 25pgs or so written.. and it goes deeper than just the story...what im writing basically outlines how the game should play and all the things that should be included in it.

This is called a design document, and they're typically more than 100 pages long.

Quote:And I've talked to alot of people that say after reading what i have so far that it would make an awesome game.

No offense, but this form of peer review is usually worthless, unless it's game designers who have been saying it's awesome.

Quote:In any case my question is basically what're the chances of selling a script like that to a high end company so the game can be published/animated/basically made correctly?...

Your chances are pretty close to zero. Most publishers have already decided on a particular kind of game, because they know it will make money. There's also the legal aspect. What if they made a game like yours in the future, after rejecting your idea? You could sue them for stealing your intellectual property. This alone causes publishers to ignore most design submissions.

If you really want to see your game made, I would reccomend learning how to develop your own games. That's what this site is for! Good luck.
yeah i can guarantee it will be upwards of 200pgs, and it kinda sucks to think that you cant sell a script of that sort. with all my hard work, i guess ill hold onto it and make it myself. Sad Day.
No! It is not a sad day! It is a wonderful day! Assuming some high end publishing company did want to make your game. They would ultimately butcher it into a watered down piece of garbage like 99% of the games out there today. They don't care about making a great game, they want to make money. You have the chance to make your game! Make it however you want! Make it long, make it short, make it fun, make it hard, make it pretty, make it evil, make it entertaining, make it thought-provoking. The world is your oyster! Take your long and drawn out document and turn it into your own piece of artwork. I guarantee the sense of accomplishment will be greater if you pull it off yourself.

Pick up a game making tool, learn it, and show us what you got!
Why not go onto the Help Wanted forum and see if you can get a team together to make it with you.
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re probably right – Henry Ford
I would recommend getting RPGMaker or RealmCrafter, and building the first two levels of your game using whatever art comes with the tools (plus what you can find for free or cheap on the internet). Your vision will be limited by the tools -- however, you should be able to create as much of your awesome game as possible even within those tools.

Then, figure out whether the game is actually awesome. Once you have a good prototype like this, you might be able to find volounteers in Help Wanted to build a more full-featured game. This could be done either by expanding the prototype, or by re-doing it in a different environment, but the main goal should be to build as close to the envisioned game as you can, given the limitations.

Once you have as much of the game done as you can, THEN you can maybe schedule time with acquisitions people at publishers to try and get something going through the demo. The road there is long and arduous, however.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I suppose it would make more sense to do that, but i would like to make the game with reasonably high end graphics and im not sure that RPGmaker can exactly do that for me. also with RPGmaker the battle system is really.. pretty lame. I've made a game before following the story of Singring and the Glass Guitar. Which is a song thats like 18min. long or so. In any case i suppose i could do that to pitch to the help wanted boards... but i dont really wanna post ne thing until i can get it copywritten. Is it feasible to get a team together and make a full-ledged game over the net?... I mean this isnt going to happen right now cause its gonna take me atleast 2-3 more months to finish writing my design board or w/e its called. and then probably another month or so to make a small demo in one of those programs. But do u think that would be a successful approach to this?
If its really that good, I'd advise trying to get a team of developers together to build it.

I love RPG's, but whenever I try to script my own they never seem to be terribly original (I think iv been brainwashed by the FF's :))

Chances of selling an idea are effectively zero. If you haven't the skills or resources to build it yourself, there is going to come a time that you need to show it to people to see what they think.

I'll be happy to read over your script and give any feedback, if you aren't too worried about me stealing all your ideas at least.
"Leave it to the computer programmers to shorten the "Year 2000 Millennium Bug" to "Y2K." Isn't that what caused this problem in the first place?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement