Displaying images grabbed from a camera in realtime

Started by
4 comments, last by chant 18 years ago
Hello. I'm programming an application in .NET 2003 (C++) and the images grabbed by a camera are displayed in realtime in a form (one image every 33 ms). To improve performance, I'm thinking about using a graphics library to display the images. The first option I thought is to use DirectX. I've seen that directdraw is deprecated, and I don't know if using Direct3D is too much just to display images. Are there easier options? Which is the best way to accomplish this? I'm a completely newbie in this field, so any information will be welcome :) Thank you very much.
Advertisement
I am confused. Are you saying you're using Visual Studio .NET 2003 to write a general C++ program, or are you using C++ with Managed Extensions and the .NET framework?

If you're using regular C++ you'd probably be easier off with SDL if all you want to do is display a 2D image in realtime. DirectX might be a bit much work to get up and working.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

I'm using the .NET framework and managed C++.

I've read that Direct3D is rather complicated to set up, and as you said I just want to display de 2D image in realtime, so is it better to use SDL? Is SDL managed?

Thank you.
Originally SDL is not managed, but there might be a managed port of it that I'm not aware of. Managed DirectX is relatively straightforward to use for 2D presentation. Once you've created an MDX device and loaded the texture you can use the Sprite class to draw it, avoiding all the 3D stuff. However there might be a much simpler solution. After all DirectX is made to use in very graphics intesive programs such as games.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
Quote:
To improve performance, I'm thinking about using a graphics library to display the images.

What's your bottleneck? In what way do you want to improve performance?

If you want to do it with Managed DirectX find a MDX tutorial on texturing. All you need to do is apply a texture (your picture) on a poly.

DirectX FAQ has a lot of DirectX tutorials including MDX ones.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Hi!

The bottleneck is the CPU. The grabbed images are processed and displayed on the screen. We expect to reduce the needed CPU by using DirectX, SDL, etc.

We have have tried DirectDraw, and the results have been promising, but we can't make it work with direct3D.

We have also tried with SDL, which is very easy to set up, but the performance is quite worse.

Thank you for everything!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement