C++ code is it ok

Started by
5 comments, last by Bregma 18 years ago
Just a couple of quick queries. Is it ok to overload the assignment operator (=) and then use it in a copy constructor like this.

Task::Task(const Task& t){
  *this = t;
}

also, in the operator assignment why is it that scope isn't an issue. I'm using g++ (cygwin/Eclipse) and it doesn't seem to mind me doing this.

Task& Task::operator=(const Task& t){
  task_from = t.task_from;
  task_to = t.task_to;
}

When both task_from and task_to are private. Does it have something to do with it being the same class?
Advertisement
For your first question- I generally write out assignment operators and copy constructors separately but I'm not sure if there are any drawbacks either way so I'll let someone else field that.

For your second question- yes, since it is the same class it is allowed to access it's own and other instances of the same class' private members from within its own member functions
moe.ron
For the first, I'm almost positive that that is just fine. I don't remember if I ever used an overloaded = in constructor, but it should work.

For the second, since = is a member function, it can change those two private variables. And the way it knows which task_from or task_to is which, is that, a "this" dereference is assumed when not shown.

i.e. THIS:

task_from = t.task_from;
task_to = t.task_to;

is equivalent to THIS:

this->task_from = t.task_from;
this->task_to = t.task_to;

(or THIS too... I'm just playing with syntax now...):

(*this).task_from = t.task_from;
(*this).task_to = t.task_to;
--== discman1028 ==--
It is ok, but it is likely that if you need a custom copy constructor and assignment operator, you can't implement the copy constructor using the assignment operator. Generally, a custom assignment operator has to release some resource or deallocate some memory. Doing that might cause a problem in a copy constructor where there is no resource to release or memory to deallocate. Here is a simple example:
    class foo    {        foo()        {            p = new int;        }        // assignment operator        foo & operator=( foo & rhs )        {            if ( this != &rhs )            {                delete p;                p = new int( *rhs.p );            }            return *this;        }        // copy constructor        foo( foo const & rhs )        {            *this = rhs; // major problem: this->p is uninitialized so delete p will barf.        }    }; 

}
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
It's okay, the STL has you covered:

#include <memory>#include <iostream>struct MyObject{    MyObject()    {        std::cout << "new " << this << std::endl;    }        MyObject( MyObject const & ref )    {        std::cout << "new " << this << " (from " << &ref << ")" << std::endl;    }        ~MyObject()    {        std::cout << "del " << this << std::endl;     }};struct foo{    typedef std::auto_ptr<MyObject> MyObjectPointer;    MyObjectPointer p;        foo(): p( new MyObject )    {}        foo & operator=( foo const & rhs )    {        if ( this != &rhs )            p = MyObjectPointer(new MyObject( *rhs.p ));                return *this;    }        foo( foo const & rhs )    {        *this = rhs;    }};int main(){    foo a, b, c = a;        a = b = c;}

$ g++ -ggdb3 -Wall -Wextra -Werror -ansi -pedantic test.cpp -o test
$ valgrind ./test
<snip>
new 0x1bb36028
new 0x1bb36060
new 0x1bb36098 (from 0x1bb36028)
new 0x1bb360d0 (from 0x1bb36098)
del 0x1bb36060
new 0x1bb36108 (from 0x1bb360d0)
del 0x1bb36028
del 0x1bb36098
del 0x1bb360d0
del 0x1bb36108
==21675==
==21675== ERROR SUMMARY: 0 errors from 0 contexts (suppressed: 21 from 1)
==21675== malloc/free: in use at exit: 0 bytes in 0 blocks.
==21675== malloc/free: 5 allocs, 5 frees, 5 bytes allocated.
==21675== For counts of detected errors, rerun with: -v
==21675== No malloc'd blocks -- no leaks are possible.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by willow01
Just a couple of quick queries. Is it ok to overload the assignment operator (=) and then use it in a copy constructor like this.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

also, in the operator assignment why is it that scope isn't an issue. I'm using g++ (cygwin/Eclipse) and it doesn't seem to mind me doing this.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

When both task_from and task_to are private. Does it have something to do with it being the same class?
I may work in many cases, but is not a totally safe practice. The reason is that in an assignment operation, the left hand side has already been constructed, and is merely being overwritten / replaced.
However in this case the left hand argument being passed in has not yet been initialised.
This can make trouble in cases such as where the assignment operator first checks if some field in both objects are equal, before copying, for instance.

In many cases it will be fine. People can and do use it, without problems in many cases. However you have now been warned of the potential dangers of doing so.

Edit: John Bolton appears to have already demonstrated exactly this, and very nicely I might add - DOH![smile]
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote:Original post by willow01
Is it ok to overload the assignment operator (=) and then use it in a copy constructor like this.

No. Just don't do it. There are many and varied, and sometimes subtle, reasons why it won't always work, or will work but not the way you expect. For a book-length treatment of the topic, try Sutter's Exceptional C++.

What you might want to do is implement your assignment operator in terms of the copy consructor. If you have a member function void swap() nothrow(), what you've done is provided the strong exception guarantee, and all your object-copying smarts is in a single function, the copy constructor (which will throw an exception if the class invariants are not met).
class C{public:  C(const C& rhs);  C& operator=(const C& rhs)  {    C tmp(rhs);    swap(tmp);    return *this;  }protected:  void swap(const C& rhs) nothrow();};

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement