I'm back -- and I finished development of my game!

Started by
13 comments, last by CHollman82 18 years ago
The World's first Browser-based RTS is now complete and ready for testing! Ortico Melbourne is proud to announce: Age of Penguins http://www.AgeOfPenguins.com The official beta-testing period has now begun! Anyone who would like to help test the game, please send an e-mail to: matthew@ageofpenguins.com After 6 months in development, the game is very solid at this point (it has undergone much testing in-house), but there are many things (such as game balance) that require the input of many players. Because many things might need changing, (and there is a bit of work created in compiling a level), only 10 levels were created for now. The finished product will probably have about 30 or 40 (maybe more!) There's no real limit. What makes Age of Penguins special: * The first browser-based Real-time Strategy game! In the history of browser games, no company (big or small) has ever attempted to release a full-length game of this complexity -- with saving/loading and all the features of a game like Warcraft II (where you gather resources, build up a city, produce an army, destroy the computer's city, etc.) * Play it anywhere -- no install required. All you need is a 1 GHz or better Windows computer with 512 MB RAM (enough to run programs smoothly), 1024 X 768 screen resolution, and Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher! Entire game is only 1 MB. It downloads in a matter of seconds on a high-speed Internet connection. For best results, use a PC with a actual, separate video card. (PCs with "onboard video" which use system RAM for video memory will exhibit poor performance) * No special software or plug-ins required. The game was written in &#106avascript for this very reason. No Flash? No Java runtime? No problem! * Not a Flash game Macromedia Flash doesn't allow the use of the right mouse button, etc. which is required to produce a browser game that feels like a regular DirectX Windows game. All Flash games are the same -- simple and repetitive; something a single programmer could write in a weekend (excluding the graphics). * No hidden fees No strings attached. You don't have to install a browser bar, a special plug-in, or any kind of spyware to enjoy Age of Penguins. To support development of this game, we only have banner ads and a donation page. * Play while web browsing, getting work done, etc! It plays in a normal browser window, and behaves perfectly well with all other running programs. Doesn't cause slowdown, nor does it require exclusive, full-screen mode. * Save/Load your game at any time -- even continue your game on a different PC! Games are saved to the server -- simply login with your User ID and Password wherever you are, and you can continue any saved game. There is no limit to the number of accounts you can set up! * Good Play Control So many games leave out this critical piece of the puzzle. There are many games that WOULD HAVE BEEN great if the game controls were easier or more intuitive -- if you could get around and do things in the game without much thought. A user-friendly interface was actually one of the main objectives when Age of Penguins was being developed. If you've played Real-time Strategy games before, you should have no problem getting used to this game. Do you have the urge to right-click on a resource to have a Worker harvest it? Go ahead! Want to move around the world with the arrow keys? Go ahead! And if you want to be able to use the mini-map for navigation, your wish is also granted!
Advertisement
Moved to Your Announcements.
Don't mean to rain on your parade but there have been alot of browser based RTS games that I have played over the years. I don't think you can call it the "world's first".
It does depend on what you mean by an RTS --

If you include all the online strategy (space conquest) games, than no mine's not the first.

But if by RTS you mean Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires, etc. (what's the proper term for THIS kind of RTS?) then mine would definitely be the first.

Otherwise, where are they hiding? *grin*

Matthew
Do you also have a demo, without registration/testing involved?
Ack, the website makes me feel like I'm learning about the time cube theory. You may want to think about sprucing it up a bit, at least before the game comes out of beta.

Quote:Original post by Marmin
Do you also have a demo, without registration/testing involved?

Seconded.

How exactly does it remind you of Time Cube theory?

What is lacking on the website -- things like custom graphics? Because I think it has a clean functional look right now.

The problem is, I had to do everything in the game -- design, programming, debugging, testing, graphics integration (and some graphics work), and website design.

I laugh every time I visit a game development forum, and see people asking for "a web designer, a programmer, an artist, a game map designer..." and I'm thinking to myself, "I WISH I could have help with some of these things!"

But no, I'm doing it all myself. Obviously a website where it's not my only task will be inferior to one that's put out by someone who has enough time.

As for the demo -- since it's only in Beta, I want to limit how many people see the game before it's perfect. When you get into the game, you might want to save, etc. and it needs a username for that. I don't ask people to fill out a long survey to sign up, so I figure it's no big deal. (When the game is released, it will be totally automatic; only login/password/e-mail address are asked for)

It's something to think about -- but I don't want to frustrate people by letting them play a special build of the game that doesn't allow saving. Once you get into it, you might want to be able to save.

Thanks for you input,

Matthew
Quote:Original post by Chantcd_com
How exactly does it remind you of Time Cube theory?

What is lacking on the website -- things like custom graphics? Because I think it has a clean functional look right now.

I believe he was referring to the background image and the random large colored fonts. I think just dropping the background image and opting for a light, neutral solid color background would go a long ways.

The game looks interesting, but I would rather not have to apply and give my email address to test it out.
Hey i checked it out and it really is a nice game even if you didnt have an artist or a web designer you managed to pull it off. Well done.
Looks like a cool game! I might try it out later today.
Although I really don't think you should be recommending players to turn off their antivirus, specially whilst browsing.
Best regards, Omid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement