microsoft vs. bloodshed

Started by
66 comments, last by Adam Hamilton 18 years ago
I actually think that the VC++ environment's easier to navigate in compared to Dev. Like instead of going through dialog boxes to set the path for the libraries for each project, I just need to set them once ("Set it and FORGET IT!") and just type in the lib files that I need. That way any project I need can start out having the required libraries without wasting time at the start of the project.
And Intellisense has saved me tons of coding time for repetitive Win32 and D3D initializations.

Only reason I kept Dev-C++ was for my CS class. (I wish my teacher would have gotten a free VC++ Express license instead.)
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:Original post by wild_pointer
Quote:Original post by shred master
free forever? i thought it was a year. but dudes, the only reason i keep goin on about ms specific and everything is cos i wanna learn c++, not microsofts visual c++

Visual C++ is the name of the IDE, that's all. The compiler that comes with the latest versions of VC++ is among the most standards conforming in existence. Like most compilers, there are some nonstandard extensions that you can use (ie. pragma once).

Perhaps you're thinking of managed C++ (C++.NET)? That's something else entirely, and it's reasonably safe to say you'll never need to worry about it.

#pragma's are compiler dependant, they are not non-standard. In fact, in a sence, they are standard (as standard as having int main(int ac, char*av[], char*env[], int i_am_still_standard)).

Moreover, C++/CLI (managed C++) IS standard (see here). And you can expect it to be implemented on other platforms as well.

Regards,

I think it's fairly obvious to what standard I was referring.
[size=2]
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
So don't use "Microsoft's c++". VS is perfectly capable of compiling standards compliant code.

Just to expand on this: There's an option in the project settings under VC++ called 'Disable Language Extensions.' Set it to 'Yes,' and the compiler will not allow you to use any of the MS-specific extensions to the language, even if they're extensions that are now pretty happily supported by other compilers.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
So don't use "Microsoft's c++". VS is perfectly capable of compiling standards compliant code.

Just to expand on this: There's an option in the project settings under VC++ called 'Disable Language Extensions.' Set it to 'Yes,' and the compiler will not allow you to use any of the MS-specific extensions to the language, even if they're extensions that are now pretty happily supported by other compilers.
Be careful there; that might cause the STL code to break.

As for pragma once, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you use it and include guards together. Both GCC and VC support it, and should you hit a compiler that doesn't, the standard-compliant behavior for unknown pragmas is simply to ignore them. So it can't hurt you.

And stop bitching about MS extensions. GCC has far more extensions built in than VC ever did.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Yeah, and a lot of those are used when recompiling GCC :D.

Seriously, why aren't more people using code::blocks? It's way better than Dev-C++, and only marginaly lagging behind visual studio.
Quote:Original post by KaptainKomunist
Yeah, and a lot of those are used when recompiling GCC :D.

Seriously, why aren't more people using code::blocks? It's way better than Dev-C++, and only marginaly lagging behind visual studio.

I actually used to use C::B because it was a lot quicker in running my programs from the editor. I eventually became too lazy to set the compiler options for VC++2005.

____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
Visual Studio is handsdown the best environment if you're developing on Windows.
With the Express editions being free (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/), there really is no reason not to use it.

...except that it won't even install on older Windows OSes.

Quote:Original post by Sol462
I actually think that the VC++ environment's easier to navigate in compared to Dev. Like instead of going through dialog boxes to set the path for the libraries for each project, I just need to set them once ("Set it and FORGET IT!") and just type in the lib files that I need. That way any project I need can start out having the required libraries without wasting time at the start of the project.

By creating your own templates in Dev-C++, you can do the same...that is, if you really wanted to.
Visual Studio is handsdown the best environment if you're developing on Windows.
With the Express editions being free (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/), there really is no reason not to use it.

But, remember that not everyone uses multiple operating systems. So, for those that only use Windows to do their work, this has no bearing.

I use VS.NET 2003, even though I have Visual C# & C++ Express 2005 installed on my machine. I love it. It takes no time at all to load on my Athlon 2500+ machine, and setting up new projects are very fast and simple.

What Microsoft has that Bloodshed doesn't have is the powerhouse team behind developing Visual Studio. The libraries available with their products give you the kind of leverage you may or may not need. If you don't need it, then don't use it; but, the fact remains that you can do just about anything you want, and it's readily available to you.
I also strongly recommend Code::Blocks! RC2 is quite a bit out of date but their nightly releases are very stable and provide a lot more functionality then RC2.

I've only used Dev-CPP once and I have used Visual Studio for a couple of years (company MSDN) and I would have to say for standard development Code Blocks is the winner hands down. The build options are much easier to navigate then those in VS. Compare adding an include directory to a project in each one and tell me if anyone honestly thinks that VS is better. C::B also has a debugger and profiler included.

If you haven't looked into Code::Blocks I highly reccomend you try it out. It is free after all!
Quote:Original post by Dorvo

But, remember that not everyone uses multiple operating systems. So, for those that only use Windows to do their work, this has no bearing.

I was referring to the fact that some users, however few, still develop solely on machines running only a Win9x OS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement