SVN Problems

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years ago
I dont know if this really qualifies as general programing... but i'm having trouble with Subversion. When i'm at my humble abode I have absolutely no problem connecting to a subverion server (namely svn2.cvsdude.com) but when i'm at school, i can't for the life of me connect USING AN SVN CLIENT, however, I can access the repository from my browser, what does that mean (some sort of outgoing traffic filter?)? And is there anything I can Do? cheers -Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Advertisement
It is probably some form of port filtering, yes. You should talk to the IT department of your school.

[edit]I guess you could try and use a proxy server.

jfl.
Most likely your browser is set up to use the school's proxy server, which your SVN client knows nothing about. If you're using the command line client, take a look at the %APPDATA%\Subversion\servers file, in which you can configure the proxy server. Other Subversion clients either use the same file or have a similar approach to configuring it.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Well i highly doubt my browser is set up to use a proxy, cause i figured out a way to get firefox onto the school computers, and of course, thats not what they're configured to use...

thanks
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I wouldn't be surprised if FF just picks up the system/IE proxy settings. Try "telnet http://urltosvnserver.com 80" from the command line. If that doesn't get through, there's a proxy in the way.

The IE proxy settings can be found under Tools->Options->Connections->LAN Settings. If you just copy those to the SVN config file, it should work.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Do what I did...

Set up an sshd server on port 443 on your box then use Putty to create a SSH tunnel. Then set Putty up to tunnel SVN, and have svn connection to the localhost port that Putty is listening on.

This works because the proxy server will think that the host on port 443 is an SSL web connection and will give a clear connection to it. Putty can connect to the SSH server on the remote end using a proxy server.

Great for general web browsing too because your activity isn't logged in the school's proxy logs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement