2D based game, working on animation at the moment

Started by
5 comments, last by _Sauce_ 18 years ago
Hellooo, this is my first post here, but I've been surfing the forums for a while. I'm working on a small 2D game in order to help familiarize myself with DirectX, (I'm using DX8) Anyway, when compiling my game, I get one error and 5 warnings that I need help with... I can post my entire program if you guys want it but for now I'll just post the build log.

------ Build started: Project: Bigger Fish, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
Compiling...
BiggerFish.cpp
.\BiggerFish.cpp(193) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\string.h(73) : see declaration of 'strcpy'
        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
.\BiggerFish.cpp(203) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\string.h(73) : see declaration of 'strcpy'
        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
.\BiggerFish.cpp(236) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
.\BiggerFish.cpp(246) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
.\BiggerFish.cpp(263) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Hillam\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Bigger Fish\Bigger Fish\Release\BuildLog.htm"
Bigger Fish - 1 error(s), 4 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
I am having the most trouble with that error in there, Most of this code is straight out of a book on 2D DirectX Programming, and so is that erroneous line, so I'll give you the function it resides in...

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IsTimeForNextFrame()
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
BOOL IsTimeForNextFrame()
{
    static DWORD count = 0;
    count = count + 1;
    if (count > 100000)
    {
        count = 0;
        return TRUE;
    }
    else
        return FALSE;
}

the line in question is:

static DWORD count = 0;
Also, I was getting an error before telling me it didn't know where to find the .lib file "libci.lib" I checked out the platform SDK folder and it was there, but oddly enough it was a program debug database, and I was actually compiling in release mode... ?!? So why was it looking for a debug file when I was compiling in release mode? Anyway I told it where to find the file and then it shut up about it but now I get all these new errors... [Edited by - _Sauce_ on April 18, 2006 2:31:37 AM]
Advertisement
Your count is 1/1000000 frames, not per x/milliseconds.... try passing in the amount of time passed between frames and see how that does.
Evillive2
What language is that, Microsoft Visiual Studio 8? if so is it anything Microsoft Visiual Basic 6.0
Your compiler can't see the definition of DWORD, BOOL, TRUE or FALSE at that point (they're not native to C++). You're most likely missing a Win32 header.

#include <windows.h> should fix it. Alternatively:

bool IsTimeForNextFrame(){    static unsigned long count = 0;    count = count + 1;    if (count > 100000)    {        count = 0;        return true;    }    else        return false;}

That will use intrinsic C++ types instead, to the same effect.

Quote:Original post by Mishki
What language is that, Microsoft Visiual Studio 8? if so is it anything Microsoft Visiual Basic 6.0?

It's C++, using types from the Win32 API.
Ahhh no wonder i couldnt understand it
Ok, I was already compiling with #include <windows.h> at the top, so I went for your other solution... unfortunately I now get 4 errors and 3 warnings... I cannot tell you what these are however, because I use a seperate computer for programming and the net. dammit. Also, I made a mistake before, when I compile with libci.lib, it tells me I am compiling for the wrong platform instead of x86... not sure what file to use instead... so I left that link library outta there... would it be helpful for me to include my entire program here?
Nevermind about it now, I fixed it and it works flawlessly :D

Thankyou Oluseyi that did help in the end! (I still had to change a few other things but without your suggestion it wouldn't have worked.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement