Tools for the Game Designer?

Started by
15 comments, last by Simagery 17 years, 12 months ago
What tools are there for game designers? I'm not talking about Word and MindManager (two excellent tools for doing game design, IMHO). I'm talking about tools that let you actually execute on your ideas, in the same way that Photoshop allows a digital artist to execute? I know NeverWinterNights is good for the RPG crowd (I'm guessing from its popularity, actually). But I'm thinking something a bit more "retro" like SuperNintendo or Nintendo era games. Is there a 2D game making app that caters to the designer, i.e. can I avoid a bunch of programming?
Advertisement
My cousin makes little 2D RPG games that fit the SNES-era RPG category with RPGMaker XP.
Yea, RPGMaker is pretty hot.

Also, look into the old ZZT dev engine. Dated graphics but pretty powerful level design and scripting.

--Ben Finkel
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for just RPG stuff... I'm also thinking about Metroid or Castlevania lika games, or shmups, or puzzles... surely, given the old school tech inside an NES or SNES we could generically be creating these games at a very high design level?

(As a programmer, I'm well aware of my options regarding taking SDL, etc., and creating these games from the code up like they were originally made. --I'm interested in the top-down tools that are out there.)
Clickteam's software suite may help ion that respect. I used to use Games Factory years ago before I started programming and could quickly mock up games with it. However you may run into problems with the app/program/engine may be limiting in flexibility and features.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

You might also want to take a look at Game Maker.
i would like to suggest Flash or Virtools or any other prototyping tools
it's fastest and better way to let others understands your idea, logics
you don't have to draw or explain with hundread of lines.
you build up very bagic logical prototype then
just show them how it works.
If what you are avoiding is the time spent on programming, you could try using some language which is easy to pick like Python with PyGame, and you can use it to prototype ideas in less than a day.
Actually, RPGMaker will be just fine, I have a younger sibling who uses RPGMaker, and makes games really fast with it too, I myself, am more of a 3D person, I use 3D GameStudio, and still find it to be fairly simple to learn and make it do everything you want it to.

any questions, just lemme know....

I create games in 3D, if you have something that you think would be a big seller, i could work out a deal with you.... just visit my site...

www.risen-online.com

later
I saw instances in RPG maker where they made non RPG games on it. It was pretty strange playing a Platformer where you'd expect an RPG.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement