programming genius and design genius

Started by
13 comments, last by pcxmac 18 years ago
I would argue that many people who are known as genius just happen to have the appropriate resources or know the right people, or maybe they are being promoted to sell some product.

If you want yourself to be own as a genius your have to get other people to explicitly/implicitly say that you are a genius and implicitly suggest that you are a genius yourself. I.e. going around saying "I am a genius" would not have the desired effect.

I think this is a strategy used by a lot of people, so the technique of implicitly implying that you are a genius doesn't work as well as getting others to suggest that you are a genius.

People like to think that they can judge who is/isn't a genius. I would suggest that you need to be a genius yourself to identify other (true) genius. Who is a genius? What would a genius do in a Lion's den? The same as all of us; get eaten. I think a genius is someone who can persuade a lot of people that he is a genius.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
Advertisement
This sounds like a 5 year old kid posting. The parent needs to lock the computer.

A programming genius have to be a design genius too, because too program very good code you need to make a good design. None of them is better, often if you are a genius in either programming or design you will most likely also be a genius in the other, or at least something very close to genius.

BTW To people wondering where his definition of a designer genius and programmer genius is from; it's from Modern C++ Design.
After 8 years of watching programming followed by design, I've come to realize that design is the single most important thing for a large project. You can have the brightest programmers around, but if they can't come up with a strict set of guidelines to follow to build a program, it will all go down the drain. Now, if you are working on a project alone, design is perhaps less important. However, as soon as you are working with other people, design is a MUST. I'm a strict believer now that a majority of the software should be done on paper before a single line of code is typed up. It's saved my project's collective ass on several occasions, and hurt like hell on projects where that didn't occur.
designers design the system (the organization), the programmers code the different aspects of it?
sig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement