I banged me head and it worked

Started by
11 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 18 years ago
A question to you all. Would programming be as fun or as rewarding without the head banging? Without the bugs, linker errors, segmentation faults, memory leaks, stack corruption, infinite loops, deployment issues, and verbose template errors?
Advertisement
How about excecution of semi-random chunks of memory.

To your question, I guess not. I mean why else would we all use C++? It must be the only language to suffer from all the things mentioned above. I for one sort of enjoy hunting down segmentation faults. None shall drag me away from my pc while my app still crashes intermittantly! Unless they have chocolate...
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I find it more fun when a program works for the first try. I think it's fun to think about something, open an editor, write it down, compile the code and see it running without errors for the first try.
Yeah, I agree with the AP.
In fact sometimes this can be rather scary to write a large chunk of code and have no errors or warnings whatsoever during compilation. I find myself having to create a syntax error on purpose just to make sure it really did actually compile the thing.[lol]
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Yeah, I've gotten better over time at not making little syntax errors. But I still cross my fingers when I hit "compile."

But of course, compilation bugs are not the nasty ones, logical bugs and crashes are what bring the nightmares.
I try to stay away from the compile button as much as I can (and generally fail). I like writing code, and then studying it and analyzing it to make sure that the logic is right. Then I double check it to make sure that I don't catch any syntax errors.

Then I triple check it just to make sure. Then I compile it. And 9 times out of 10, there's some sort of error, still
daerid@gmail.com
About a year ago, it wasn't uncommon for me to sit for hours infront of the computer only to find that I'd done if(i=1) . That was loads of fun:)
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
I really hate it, when I'm writing a program press compile and then it runs just fine. In those cases I always have an empty feeling as I've just didn't accomplished anything. Programming without mistakes leaves always a great void in me.
It's much more fun to program something and after you've finally fixed the last bug it runs and it does that damned fine und you've got the feeling that you've just accomplished something :-)

But of course while fixing the bugs I'm tearing my hair out and cursing a lot!
When a program runs the first time perfectly, I feel as though I've acomplished something.

When I got errors, I get that "Ugh, here we go again feeling...", but after fixing the errors, I get an even better feeling of acomplishment than if it had run fine.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
I compile my stuff all the time. Even when I don't want to test anything I compile just to make sure there are no syntax errors. I never go back through it to see if there is an error unless the compiler points it out. So yeah I would be happy if stuff worked the first time every time. Though it is a good feeling after you have been tracking down a bug and finally find the problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement