Boost/STL in games?

Started by
44 comments, last by Shinkage 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Unfortunately, NDAs tend to preclude such argumentation.

You misunderstand me. It's not about proving your CV, it's about proving your argument, which no amount of demonstration-by-authority-fiat will accomplish. Not that I'm saying he's wrong, he has valid points to be sure (as does the opposition), but don't accept them "because he's an authority."
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Jesus Christ...I am truly amazed with the things I see posted on this forum.

What, you mean a debate on a subject in which intelligent professionals can believe or support differing viewpoints, where they can discuss the logic behind those positions and ponder their stengths, weaknesses, and their effect? I'm amazed too, that such can exist on the internet, in a condensating world where people like you merely write off the opposing side as not being worth talking to.

Unlike you... me and those replying to this topic, we wish to engage in this discussion not because Mr Ericson has a large epeen, but rather to see what he has to bring to the table of discussion (which he has joined by his own volition). We wish to both teach and learn. Telling him what to do, to ignore us, is disrespectful to both us and him. He is more than capable of making that decision himself if he so chooses.
The flames from the AP are burning my cheeks.
Quote:Original post by Palidine
To be honest it all really boils down to familliarity with the STL and somewhat of a religious issue. It's trivial to "fix" the STL for games(console or otherwise) w/r/t memory management/fragmentation if you know what you're doing. Even then though, there are a lot of people who just won't use the STL either due to not being familliar with it or because of something akin to whether or not an opening curly brace should be on a newline or not.

The bottom line is preference. If you like the STL and know it well and want to use it for console games it's trivial to "fix" it. If you just don't like the STL or aren't really familliar with it, then it's easy to write your own container. There are zero technical reasons that you cannot use it. It's just an OpenGL v. DirectX religious war.

-me

I believe this hits the crux of the matter pretty accurately.

Also Shinkage makes the very valid point that you don't have to use the entire library.

The AP should have the balls to state who he is before he goes ahead blathering about position.
Quote:Original post by Boder
The flames from the AP are burning my cheeks.

They're making me chuckle in the irony of the post decrying the lack of respect being by far the least respectful of the topic.
To be honest it all really boils down to familliarity with the STL and somewhat of a religious issue.

For you, perhaps it does and perhaps it is. For me, it is a pragmatic issue, not a religious one, based on 25+ years of programming experience of what works and what doesn't.

My answer to the OP stands: most console developers I know are vary of using STL (and, IMO, for good reasons). No amount of arguing from the rabid members of the OOP clan changes that.

I'm allergic to these kinds of threads so with that, I've said mine.
Quote:Original post by Christer Ericson
To be honest it all really boils down to familliarity with the STL and somewhat of a religious issue.

My answer to the OP stands: most console developers I know are vary of using STL (and, IMO, for good reasons). No amount of arguing from the rabid members of the OOP clan changes that.

I don't think anyone is fanatically supporting STL/Boost or OOP in this thread.

I guess the further point to ask is based on your own programming experience what are the problems with using STL that you have found?

The best reason I can think of is sucky compiler support for the language features they use.

IMHO the thread doesn't need to decend into a mindless flaming of viewpoints if we all remain rational and explore the issues. That to me, would be most healthy.

While that might be true up until now with the change in arch for the current generation (XB360 and PS3 when it appears) the chances are alot of the 'old rules' wont apply as they once did, as with PCs consoles are evolving and becoming more powerfull, as such the way things are currently done won't always apply... I mean, if they did we'd still be writing in assembly on the PC...

most console developers I know are vary of using STL

In my experience "most" isn't true; maybe half. =)

I'm a console programmer in a building full of console game programmers (about 200 of them working on current and nextgen). The debate over the STL is pretty much exactly like this thread and happens at the beginning of every single project. ~50% are pro, ~50% are con. The division line isn't across skill or experience boundaries. Got super-senior engineers on both sides. That's why I liken it to a religious OpenGL v. DirectX war.

I'm sure you have good reasons to avoid the STL. Maybe been burned by it on other projects. Maybe just don't like the way it works. Other people just as experienced have the opposite feeling; they <3 the STL and use it sucessfully all the time on AAA console titles.

At the end of the day it's certainly something to debate for any project but there is not right or wrong answer.

-me
Most people seem to view the STL as comprising a few container classes. This doesn't make STL particularly attractive to learn, what with the nasty error messages. If you start looking to find what it can do it becomes more and more useful - if, of course, your compiler has a good STL implementation. Considering that even VC++ 6.0 didn't, when Windows apps use STL a lot, it's perhaps a little worrying to wonder what the PS2 compiler might have!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement