Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

does ATI card support CG API?

Started by 3drookie Apr 23, 2006 at 11:14 AM 6 replies 8.4k views
Original Post
3drookie
3drookie
i remember that CG was developed by nVidia. does ATI support that,too?
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
CG is OpenGL only I don't know if ATi supports it, but I don't see why not. For DirectX, there's High Level Shader Language (HLSL).
Expandable
Expandable
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
CG is OpenGL only I don't know if ATi supports it, but I don't see why not. For DirectX, there's High Level Shader Language (HLSL).


No, CG works under Direct3D and OpenGL and is supported by ATI as well (because all CG does is to "rewrite" the shader into HLSL/GLSL or OpenGL/D3D8/9 shader assembly code). However, CG shaders might run slower on ATI-hardware than "native" HLSL/GLSL shaders.
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Expandable
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
CG is OpenGL only I don't know if ATi supports it, but I don't see why not. For DirectX, there's High Level Shader Language (HLSL).


No, CG works under Direct3D and OpenGL and is supported by ATI as well (because all CG does is to "rewrite" the shader into HLSL/GLSL or OpenGL/D3D8/9 shader assembly code). However, CG shaders might run slower on ATI-hardware than "native" HLSL/GLSL shaders.
Ah, I stand corrected. I was under the impression the Cg was HLSL for GL [smile]
3drookie
3drookie
hehe, thanks guys, i am going to buy a new video card and yet dont konw which company to follow, nVidia or ATI, any advice?
Saruman
Saruman
Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Ah, I stand corrected. I was under the impression the Cg was HLSL for GL [smile]

Nope that would be GLSL :)

Cg is an API agnostic shader platform by nVidia, which Microsoft than basically took and make small changes to in order to create HLSL.
CrazyCdn
CrazyCdn
Go with the features you like/want on the card and based off a few dozen reviews (some are paid so skewed, so balance it out).

The speed difference between GLSL/HLSL/Cg will be only a few precentage points off of each other overall (some features will be faster on card x then card y but overall, balance out).

I'm likely going to write all my scripts in Cg so I can use D3D and OGL depending on the platform. I will likely right a few specific ones for speed (heavily used ones) after profiling. But pick the card you like the best.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
3drookie
3drookie
thanks! "Mike2343", your advices are deeply appreciated~

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.