does ATI card support CG API?

Started by
6 comments, last by 3drookie 18 years ago
i remember that CG was developed by nVidia. does ATI support that,too?
Advertisement
CG is OpenGL only I don't know if ATi supports it, but I don't see why not. For DirectX, there's High Level Shader Language (HLSL).
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
CG is OpenGL only I don't know if ATi supports it, but I don't see why not. For DirectX, there's High Level Shader Language (HLSL).

No, CG works under Direct3D and OpenGL and is supported by ATI as well (because all CG does is to "rewrite" the shader into HLSL/GLSL or OpenGL/D3D8/9 shader assembly code). However, CG shaders might run slower on ATI-hardware than "native" HLSL/GLSL shaders.
Quote:Original post by Expandable

No, CG works under Direct3D and OpenGL and is supported by ATI as well (because all CG does is to "rewrite" the shader into HLSL/GLSL or OpenGL/D3D8/9 shader assembly code). However, CG shaders might run slower on ATI-hardware than "native" HLSL/GLSL shaders.
Ah, I stand corrected. I was under the impression the Cg was HLSL for GL [smile]
hehe, thanks guys, i am going to buy a new video card and yet dont konw which company to follow, nVidia or ATI, any advice?
Ah, I stand corrected. I was under the impression the Cg was HLSL for GL [smile]

Nope that would be GLSL :)

Cg is an API agnostic shader platform by nVidia, which Microsoft than basically took and make small changes to in order to create HLSL.
Go with the features you like/want on the card and based off a few dozen reviews (some are paid so skewed, so balance it out).

The speed difference between GLSL/HLSL/Cg will be only a few precentage points off of each other overall (some features will be faster on card x then card y but overall, balance out).

I'm likely going to write all my scripts in Cg so I can use D3D and OGL depending on the platform. I will likely right a few specific ones for speed (heavily used ones) after profiling. But pick the card you like the best.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

thanks! "Mike2343", your advices are deeply appreciated~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement