Texas politician proposes 100 percent game tax

Started by
32 comments, last by Eleusis 17 years, 12 months ago
Apoligies if this is old. Taken from Gamespot News: Texas politician proposes 100 percent game tax [UPDATE] Republican primary candidate wants to eliminate property taxes by heavily taxing games the government deems "violent." Though incumbent Governor Rick Perry is almost assured to win the Republican nomination for this year's gubernatorial election in Texas, he does face three long-shot challengers. One of them, Corpus Christi rancher Star Locke, has proposed eliminating property taxes in the Lone Star State with revenue from taxing three things he finds undesirable. Specifically, Locke is proposing a $10,000 per-abortion tax on medical clinics that perform abortions and a 50 percent tax on all soda that "contains added glucose, fructose, sucrose to the beverage for sale to humans." [UPDATE] However, gamers will be especially alarmed by the third part of Locke's property-tax-relief proposal--a 100 percent tax on "violent video games." According to the candidate's official Web site, the candidate would impose "The Family Security & Protection Act" when elected. Section 4 of the act states to "levy a 100 percent of price sales cost tax for the sale on ... any video game containing any form of human violence." "I take the position that the Founding Fathers took: that the power to tax is the power to destroy," Locke told the Amarillo Globe News. "So our concept is that we need to tax things we don't want and you want to not tax things that you want to encourage." However, in the unlikely event he is sent to the governor's mansion, Locke would create a 10-member board that labels games as violent. According to the Globe, the tax itself would be levied against the publishers of said games--and quickly. "Once it's reviewed, the tax would be levied swiftly," he said. [UPDATE] Locke's other platform promises call for the repeal of all alcoholic beverage laws and a 50 percent "grease tax" on "all food prepared by deep-frying or cooking in any form of oil or grease for human consumption." By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot Posted Jan 25, 2006 6:22 pm PT Ok, this is just dumb, and I don't think it will ever happen. I can't believe some of these people. I suppose they're going to start taxing double for R rated movies as well. Oh, wait why don't they just start double taxing everything.
Advertisement
It's a nutcase who will never win anything, and the article says as much.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Eleusis
Ok, this is just dumb, and I don't think it will ever happen. I can't believe some of these people. I suppose they're going to start taxing double for R rated movies as well. Oh, wait why don't they just start double taxing everything.

By the way, I don't think it means 2x the tax, but rather have the tax = product cost.

$50 game => $100 after tax.

Edit: Link by the way, I didn't see it in the OP.
It isn't the government's position to tell me what I do and do not want. That being said, it is stuff like this that makes me ashamed to American. Whatever happened to the first ammendment? If this law is passed, it will be difficult for game creators to express themselves, which impeades their first ammendment rights. This is the same thing as the Poll Taxes after the civil war: make it cost so much to vote that you keep out those you don't like!
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Well, I wouldn't vote for him.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Oxygen corrodes and rusts our cars, and is highly combustible! TAX BREATHING!!
Even if there are some wacko's that would back his position privately I doubt there are many politicians that would put there public approval on something so idiotic unless there was already a huge public backing. Last time I checked, there isn't. Either way, you have to love the brass tacks it takes to spout some of this stuff [embarrass]
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
It isn't the government's position to tell me what I do and do not want. That being said, it is stuff like this that makes me ashamed to American. Whatever happened to the first ammendment? If this law is passed, it will be difficult for game creators to express themselves, which impeades their first ammendment rights. This is the same thing as the Poll Taxes after the civil war: make it cost so much to vote that you keep out those you don't like!
Wow. It won't be passed, and he won't be elected governor. I promise.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Hydrogen Dioxide is found in cancer and causes acid rain?
TAX++!!!

I especially like the "Mexico and Immigration" section:
Quote:STOP TAKING ANY MORE APPLICATIONS for immigration into the U.S.

He's a clownshoes.
Quote:Original post by Avatar GodWow. It won't be passed, and he won't be elected governor. I promise.
I'm sure it won't, and I'm sure he won't. That doesnt' change the fact that such a law would be blatantly illegal.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement