When will we get real ati drivers ?

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
I mean, when will ati produce a driver which performance aren't 10-100 times less than the windows one ? When will we get real glsl support ? When will that leaked memory bug I reported months ago will be fixed ? When I bought my notebook, I thought that they were really getting serious about linux drivers (that was what they were saying right ?), but one year and a half later, well, always the same thing... I find something strange happening in my code, I debug, I search, then one day I decide to cross compile, I reboot, I test, and then I see that the problem does not come from my code, but from ati's one. I'm tired of their linux support, I'm not ATI nor nVidia fan, but I have to admit that under linux, well, ATI just does not exist.
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !
Advertisement
Well, even the Windows driver of ATI is pretty bad. I guess they're only making the drivers as "good" as they have to without losing too many customers.
Yeah; I've had serious problems with ATI's drivers, too. I heard they got better recently, though.

I wasn't an ATI or nVidia fan until I experienced ATI's Linux drivers. Now I have an nVidia and I'm much happier with the drivers (both Windows and Linux). I also like the performance better, but you get what you pay for there).
Have you emailed developersupport at ati?? I find them to be pretty responsive. If ATI doesn't hear people complain then where's the business case for them pumping out better drivers.

I'm sure their engineers would like to have better linux drivers but are forced to release early or don't get as much time as they'd like for Linux. If you complain often enough then that might give the engineers the leverage they need to create a business case for better linux support!!

I've asked ati for better linux support;)

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
I'm sure that ATi isn't purposefully restricting the performance that you can get in linux- that wouldn't make sense for them, really.

There's a plethora of reasons that could make your drivers seem (or actually be) less efficient in linux than in Windows, and I honestly don't know what those reasons would be. I, like chollida1, think that if you're really having some issues, you should simply call their support departments. After all, they're paid to help you!
well, I submitted many tickets, however, I always get the same answer : "we do not provide direct support for notebooks, contact your notebook manufacturer"... as if toshiba could tell me why the float to int conversion is so slow in glsl with ati hardware... (I am not even sure if toshiba would support me as I do not use the furnished operating system).

Perhaps someone have a clue on how to get support even with a notebook ?
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !
ATI Petition for (open source) Linux drivers

Make sure to check out http://www.petitiononline.com for many other interesting petitions.
Strange... though I'll grant the OpenGL extensions don't all work, the FGLRX driver works for me with very little work. I've got to hand-change three or four lines in my XOrg configuration files, but my Ubuntu distro recognized the driver immediately after that. Accelerated OpenGL works fine.

I don't really care about pixel shaders when I'm running linux anyway. The accelerated T&L engine is good enough for Blender and GLTron, and that's all I want.
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well, even the Windows driver of ATI is pretty bad. I guess they're only making the drivers as "good" as they have to without losing too many customers.

Yeah, under Windows, they need to fix up some things that never seem to get fixed.

On Linux, Doom 3 performance is quite bad. It's playable but it's probably half that of Windows.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement